Burning In for Bass?
Feb 16, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 21
Look, just burn-in your earphones with whatever you wish. There are plenty of people who are believers in burn-in and plenty of skeptics.

I personally would not recommend pink noise. I suggest you just play music you listen to normally at slightly higher volumes. Just do this when you sleep for about a week (8x7 = 56 hours) should be sufficient. I dont subscribe to the 1000+ hours burn-in requirement. I believe 95% (if not more) of the burn-in happens within the first 10 hours or so.

That said I burn't in my Hippo VBs for 50 hours (with pink noise) and I found them as bad and as sibilant as the day I got them (i.e. there was hardly any change). Then I burned them in using normal music for 100 hours and now the sibilance has been tamed by leaps and bounds. I guess I have just gotten used to the sibilance ? I doubt it as I still cringe whenever I hear sibilance in my home speakers.

Anyways my point is that most earphones/headphones burn-in in 10 - 15 hours. However some take longer time to burn-in.

This is one the biggest reasons why I believe in burn-in. If burn-in was indeed purely a placebo effect then there would be completely random recommendations on the amount of time required to burn-in a particular earphone/IEM. However most people recommend barely 50 hours for a HD650 but you will see people recommending 100 hours and more for an AKG K701.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Catching squirrels with your forehead

LOL. Thread need go no further.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Thread need go no further.

LOL, yeah, was inspired at the time of writing that
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmars78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is a type of fish...just said differently than bass.
beerchug.gif

LMAO I definitely should have caught onto that one LOL

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look, just burn-in your earphones with whatever you wish. There are plenty of people who are believers in burn-in and plenty of skeptics.

I personally would not recommend pink noise. I suggest you just play music you listen to normally at slightly higher volumes. Just do this when you sleep for about a week (8x7 = 56 hours) should be sufficient. I dont subscribe to the 1000+ hours burn-in requirement. I believe 95% (if not more) of the burn-in happens within the first 10 hours or so.

That said I burn't in my Hippo VBs for 50 hours (with pink noise) and I found them as bad and as sibilant as the day I got them (i.e. there was hardly any change). Then I burned them in using normal music for 100 hours and now the sibilance has been tamed by leaps and bounds. I guess I have just gotten used to the sibilance ? I doubt it as I still cringe whenever I hear sibilance in my home speakers.

Anyways my point is that most earphones/headphones burn-in in 10 - 15 hours. However some take longer time to burn-in.

This is one the biggest reasons why I believe in burn-in. If burn-in was indeed purely a placebo effect then there would be completely random recommendations on the amount of time required to burn-in a particular earphone/IEM. However most people recommend barely 50 hours for a HD650 but you will see people recommending 100 hours and more for an AKG K701.

Yay, as real answer, no squirrels, not fish
tongue.gif

so basically if I just use my typical music it doesn't matter what it is.

I wonder why so many people swear by pink noise
confused_face(1).gif

from what I gather burn in is just loosening the drivers, so I suppose naturally that should not take long. After that is just wearing them into what you want.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 21
People like pink noise because it works out the drivers better than regular music, and maybe in theory you won't be able to loosen them as much just by listening to normal volume music for a long duration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back