Burning in, even on home made drivers?
Apr 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 23
Very good work of both, congratulations!. i was planning to do some drivers too in the future, with a pair of HP-DX1000 driver magnets. However if some of you, are interested in the driver magnets, i can sell them....

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 23
I think the biggest reason for making your own drivers is for the hell of it. Apparently, it can work out, but it's a wonderful way to get a solid understanding of how a dynamic driver element functions, as well as bragging rights.

I think the experience would be much more valuable to you than would be the couple bucks you'd get for a set of magnets.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 23
I would like to use some "paper type" SA5000's drivers, to use in the magnets. But for now, i don't known which should be the most idoneous material....
That is only a consideration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the biggest reason for making your own drivers is for the hell of it. Apparently, it can work out, but it's a wonderful way to get a solid understanding of how a dynamic driver element functions, as well as bragging rights.

I think the experience would be much more valuable to you than would be the couple bucks you'd get for a set of magnets.

May 4, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 23
I recently stopped using these headphones. They're great and all, but the right driver really doesn't like bass much anymore, any loud low frequency bass distorts with a chirp.

May 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by elcarajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does one look for differing methods of DIY driver construction?

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going. But, yeah. Basically, most of my knowledge came from my 9th and 10th grade Science classes, and brute force experimentation, while asking advice on Anandtech.com's "Highly Technical" forum.

Basically, you're on your own, with some help from others. As I said before, the only reason to DIY it is for kicks and giggles, as it's much more akin to DIYing the capacitors and chokes in an amp than it is to DIYing the amp itself.

If you actually want to do it, then here are the general considerations:
SPL = Magnet * voicecoil / acoustic resistance
Distortion = diaphragm weight / acoustic resistance

Basically, the voicecoil is a magnet that varies in intensity based on the current (audio information) passed through it. The longer the length of wire that's contained in the coil, the more intense the magnetic field will be, and the harder it will push against the permanent magnet. The harder it pushes on that real magnet, the more the diaphragm will move. The more the diaphragm moves, the louder the volume will be.

From my now increased understanding (after hours spent reading the ortho thread), I would add the acoustic resistance. Basically, that would include the stiffness of the diaphragm and any pressure deficit between the front and back of the diaphragm. What I mean by that second part is that if you have filter material (like felt) that restricts the movement of air behind the driver, then it will cause the driver to want to return to it's "at rest" state faster, which will reduce volume (bad) but also reduce distortion (very, very god)

In the attached picture, the first diagram is the assembly at rest. The second diagram is at excursion, with the green bubble being the magnetic field that is created by passing electricity through the copper wire. The third diagram is what happens when there isn't enough acoustic resistance: the diaphragm keeps vibrating in an uncontrolled way, making distortion.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies
cPath_1 | Applied Magnets : Strong Neodymium Magnets - discount wholesale prices.

May 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently stopped using these headphones. They're great and all, but the right driver really doesn't like bass much anymore, any loud low frequency bass distorts with a chirp.

That's probably because some of the glue came loose. I'd try regluing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back