Burning in CD Players when brand new.
Jan 5, 2006 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

THeX

Head-Fier
hey folks,

I was breaking in my cd player (it got replaced), so I put in a SACD (Mobile Fidelity, Patricia Barber Cafe Blue SACD) and put on repeat all for the whole day.

When I got back home, I ejected the CD and found one corner slightly peeling (didn't rip off any data), but the plastic started to lift slightly on a quarter of the CD's edge. This kind of worries me a bit... so now i've decided to burn in my component the slow way by listening to cds as required.

Any thoughts?

Note: The weather was a tad warm, but not overly warm, so it might have contributed to that as well. Additionally, this CD has been well played beforehand.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 7
This is interesting. I have never had this happen to me, and I have broken in many players. However, I would not be very alarmed by it, as it seems that the disc was perhaps quite worn.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 7
i'm very anal with my CDs, I checked my other mobile fidelity SACDs, and one Aimee Mann one I have is showing signs of peeling.

If I look at the data side of the disc, on the outer edges I can see it looks like its lifted off the plastic.

edit: I found a small strip of thin plastic (the label) has come off about 1cm in length, probably flew inside my CD player somewhere, I hope it won't affect the transport too badly.

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree: one should be very careful with one's CDs. When I said not to be "very alarmed," I meant it in terms of performing unattended break-in. I think that as long as you use a newer CD (one in good condition), then you should be okay letting it play. I have never had any problems doing this.

I check the condition of the CD before I insert it in the transport. I have never noticed any visible or obvious wear (as you have reported here). Which player are you using?

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
I agree: one should be very careful with one's CDs. When I said not to be "very alarmed," I meant it in terms of performing unattended break-in. I think that as long as you use a newer CD (one in good condition), then you should be okay letting it play. I have never had any problems doing this.?

Yeh I bought this SACD in Sept 03. Its in perfect nick... it was fine when I put it in.

Quote:

Which player are you using?

Marantz 15 series SACD player

I guess since a tiny bit flaked off the disc, it shouldn't be too bad. One makes me think of the dust build up over time would probably be worse.

Edit - I found the plastic strip that peeled off on the ground in front of my cd player PHEW!

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 7
I am glad this worked out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back