Burn-In
Apr 2, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #17 of 26
Don't use white noise/pink noise...Those take too long to properly burn-in your gear (maybe even degrade the sound).

The best method for burning in is black noise.
1) You start with turning on your AMP/ Source
2) Leave it on and make sure no music is playing through it and no detectable sound is heard (black background. Hiss is acceptable).
3) Next, leave it on for hours on end (depending on your AMP it may take between 1,000 hrs to 100,000 hrs). Make sure to intermittently turn off your AMP for a few minutes to help in capacitor burn in.
4) Intermittently use your gear whenever the mood calls for it to substitute the black noise with music (this is use to ensure that your ears get the proper training to the subtle changes).

For HPs, burn in for 100hrs white noise/pink noise/music and enjoy (100hrs is a perfect compromise between the crazies and the almost crazy)

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #18 of 26
i think the OP needs to burn it in for another 5 years for it to sound best.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 26
The first 10 hours make by far the biggest difference...

After 10 hours, I just let them burn-in the rest of the way as I'm listening. Why bother sending the drivers closer to their ultimate death, when you can have fun listening to the headphones during all of those hours of music playback?

Plus, it's kinda cool to know that as you enjoy your headphones they continually get better!
smily_headphones1.gif

unless... of course... the OP is joking?

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 26
Burn in definately exists for headphones and speakers: mechanical parts free up in their range of motion. Also the designer will have fine tuned the product when run in first (if they have a clue) so the sound should run-in towards the final spec.

Electronics run-in? I know it sounds crazy, but some stuff does need it. I design power amps, and fresh off the pre-production line the units never sound as good as the reference prototype until they've been run-in for xxxx hours (trade secret). No real proof as to why, but one aspect worth noting: electrolytic capacitors change their capacitance, tan-d and impeadance over time, noticably in the early life when a voltage is applied across them.

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 26
Next, I see someone storing and burning in headphones in a cellar, and then being discussed over like wine....

"Did you listen to that 2004 K701? It was quite wonderful"

"No, I preferred the 2007 K701, it had more sparkle"

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's strange the thread didn't start on 1st April... I suppose leaving your headphones to burn-in for 1000+ hours is overkill.

Well mechanical stuff wares out, so once worn in, it's all down hill from there.....

Valve stuff is a pain: the very short life of some valves mean there can be a distinct peak of performance, then a gradual degradation.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back