Burn In
Aug 7, 2007 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Shunyata

Banned
Some manufacturers recommend burning in, and some even set a number recommended. Then there are those on the forum who have stated other numbers that have been agreed upon.

Why don't manufacturers burn in the amp before sending it out? That saves people the trouble of having to go past their return policy or "getting accustomed" to a changing sound that no one knows whether if it is their own hearing that is adjusting or the actual amplifier.

Please amp designers/builders save us all the agony and countless discussions and gripes by pre burning in before sending it out. There is nothing to lose, and hundreds of arguments and threads that end up nowhere would be avoided.

Manufacturers are those of all people who should know exactly how much time is needed if at all and take action- too much space or power consumption? How about a capacitor burning in station- simple and you can burn in all your caps before building the amps with them.

This way people won't have to think all the time is it not my sound because it is not burned in long enough/properly/at all and then other random people would just urge on and on with different stories and hour counts.

/rant

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 13
ray burns in the apache 50 hours before sending it out. i'm not sure if that is done for burn in purposes soley or quality check. maybe both.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ray burns in the apache 50 hours before sending it out. i'm not sure if that is done for burn in purposes soley or quality check. maybe both.

Well at least he is paying attention
600smile.gif

Does he do it for the tomahawk too? Because that and the other portable both seem to garner the most comments with regards to burn in, as well as having burn in cycles that run for such long times
eek.gif

When you get your apache you better not use the 500 hour burn in excuse to avoid writing a deliciously picture filled review for us
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shunyata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't manufacturers burn in the amp before sending it out?

I don't think this issue is clear cut, even though nearly all would agree that an amplifier benefits from burn-in. Firstly, burning-in does consume labour resources. One might not think that connecting an amp up to a system is a big deal, but it is a big deal when you are talking about small companies having to burn-in significant volumes of products for long periods (not just a short quality control test). Some of the best head-fi audio companies out there are so tightly run that they do not even have the facilities to answer many of their emails because they are flat out fullfilling orders. So in this particular respect, if every buyer insisted on products being burned-in before initial delivery, then prices would have to go up because labour resources would increase.

Secondly, many purchasers (such as myself), actually enjoy burning-in the amplifier themselves. I got quite a kick out of burning-in my Corda Move. I ran it continuously from a 12 volt primary battery for 6 days and just listened for about 15 minutes each day. It was very interesting, fun and educational to hear the changes over that time - particulary after the first day and then after the fourth day. This process would not have been any of the above for me had the unit already been burned-in prior to my purchasing it. It added a lot of pleasure to the purchase that I otherwise would not have had. Plus there was that feeling that I had burned it in "my way" - using my sources, power supply and music and my burn-in techniques. It's a bit like running in a car I suppose. I would not wish for anyone else to run-in my new car. I want to do it my way.

There are other reasons as to why I do not believe manufacturers or dealers should burn-in products, but those are the two that I will mention here.

One possible option is for the retailer to offer a burn-in service either for free or for a relatively modest cost (say $10). The retailer gives the buyer this option at the time of purchase. The buyer may elect not to request a burn-in and can therefore expect to receive in return a brand new, factory sealed unit.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 13
my tomahawk is getting sweeter by the day aftering about 300 hrs burn in. funny i was just thinking about the same thing...could it be possibky for makers to have certain device to burn in those caps before using them to build amps.

however, if you are getting a set that is already burn in for 300hrs....would it be considered used?

and somehow i am enjoying and the burn in process and hearing the change in SQ...and getting very eager to fully burn in the tomahawk....

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 13
This has been discussed here overtime like 1000 times before...SEARCH is your best friend...!!!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been discussed here overtime like 1000 times before...SEARCH is your best friend...!!!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I don't care why he got banned. I was trying to be subtle and say I didn't agree with the responder's opinion that the moderator was at fault.

Actually being sarcastic would be more accurate than subtle.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care why he got banned. I was trying to be subtle and say I didn't agree with the responder's opinion that the moderator was at fault.

My post was not in referece to yours, I was just answering the first poster, and to avoid any further discussion that will end in a mud war as usual...this types of discussions here always end the same way...I have no complaint about any moderator...(well I think that with one, but he is no longer active, and not sure if he is still a mod)...but I agree with you...
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My post was not in referece to yours, I was just answering the first poster..

gotcha, sorry I drew the bad conclusion. Fun day (still) at work, need to unwind, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back