Burn In... !
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sean.Perrin

100+ Head-Fier
I am now a total believer of Burn-in!! I've always been kind of skeptical, but time after time I am proven wrong by my own experimentation.

The Ety ER4P has been the final straw for me... they sound incredible after about 100 hours play-time now. The bass is much stronger and has some serious punch. The treble is epic... like none I've ever heard. AND the earphones are starting to get a lot of soundstage... I'm in shock.

The Bose IE's that I had before this also burned in quite nicely after 150 hours, but I was unsure if they grew on me or if they actually burned in.

Any other thoughts on the Ety ER4P burn in period specifically?

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 13
I am prepared to jump into this as well. Burn In has been very real with my E888LP and MS-1 (over 1000hours of usage
wink.gif
). I do hope that with frequent usage and hours clocked my ER-4P will be the same, tho that I read somewhere burn in does not apply to IEM Amature drivers
etysmile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am prepared to jump into this as well. Burn In has been very real with my E888LP and MS-1 (over 1000hours of usage
wink.gif
). I do hope that with frequent usage and hours clocked my ER-4P will be the same, tho that I read somewhere burn in does not apply to IEM Amature drivers
etysmile.gif

Maybe it is our eardrums that need the burning in then.

I don't know... perhaps with use they just change. This would not surprise me... it happens to a lot of products. Like cheese.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 13
I, on the other hand, have had my hd650s for over 7 months and I could not honestly say they sound any different from when I got them brand new. What I do know is that my hearing, and other's too, change from day to day and during the day. It also depends on a bunch of other things like how much coffee one's had. And for example, if I somehow survive a few days without headphones or music for that matter(yes! it is possible!), when I finally put on the headphones again they always sound much better than I remember. I'm not saying burn-in is false, but that I've not been convinced it is true either.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

... I read somewhere burn in does not apply to IEM Amature drivers
etysmile.gif

I read that somewhere too, with additional comments saying that it is your ear, which is getting used to the sound of a different earphone. But: How about the cable in the earphone for example? Cables need burn-in, although I am not sure I can pick the differences coming only from a cable before and after this burn-in period, since I always did burn-in my stuff with continuous listening and maybe the slight changes I can hear are not coming only from the cables (unfurtanetely, I got my ICs at the same time when my new toys have arrived as well, so there are more things burning-in other than the cable itself). This can surely change from person to person though.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 13
hello i'm a verry noob but do pc speakers burn in aswell because i have a logitech Z-5400 set and i'm thinking that they are better sounding every month.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

hello i'm a verry noob but do pc speakers burn in aswell because i have a logitech Z-5400 set and i'm thinking that they are better sounding every month.

If you think that they sound better every month, then you have already convinced yourself that burn in is true for speakers. I dont think any one is going to be able to tell you something like "Yes, speakers also have burn in".

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I have just received my er4p from amazon and man, do they sound harsh on certain tracks like eminem and those tracks with high-pitched drumbeats.

is it my ears or what?

Let them play all night for a few days in your sock drawer or something at a higher volume than you would normally listen. Then let me know how they sound. If you arn't amazed to the point of eating a sock, send me one of your socks and I'll eat it.

Just kidding (About the sock.)

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 13
i think burn in is real... try a pair of grado's if you really want to notice it.

but i think ones ears get used to the sound a bit too.

and my er6i's have gone from having NOOOOOOOOOOO bass.... it was like the bottom octaves were entirely missing to having some nice bass now.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 13
It's very real with a Grado.

With IEM I believe it's us that need to "break in" to the "brain-stage" sound spectrum. I only began to really enjoy my ER-4P after jamming them in my ears for over 12 hours. Once I am used to them the sound is so full and rich that I stared at them in disbelief. And true enough, a quck swap to my very open E888LP, I was shocked how different the feel is. Both are good sounding to the hilt but they are simply different.

Now plugging in my IEM is like second nature
etysmile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

It's very real with a Grado.

With IEM I believe it's us that need to "break in" to the "brain-stage" sound spectrum. I only began to really enjoy my ER-4P after jamming them in my ears for over 12 hours. Once I am used to them the sound is so full and rich that I stared at them in disbelief. And true enough, a quck swap to my very open E888LP, I was shocked how different the feel is. Both are good sounding to the hilt but they are simply different.

Now plugging in my IEM is like second nature
etysmile.gif

I agree with this for "sudden" burn in, which I think happens within the first day of use as the user adapts to the new can... and "long-term" burn, which I think is more a physical reaction within the headphone drivers.

Also... I think that ones brain does not change shape or contract to accomidate the sound being deeper in the head.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

The Ety ER4P has been the final straw for me... they sound incredible after about 100 hours play-time now. The bass is much stronger and has some serious punch. The treble is epic... like none I've ever heard. AND the earphones are starting to get a lot of soundstage... I'm in shock.

These are balanced armature IEMs, and are said not to "burn in" by experts. With an IEM, insertion technique exerts a very strong effect on its sound, and one gains competency over time. Nonetheless, I'm delighted that they're a perfect match for you.

I'd be very interested in the reactions of users who have purchased a used ER4P, to see if they experienced the "break-in" phenomenon. Any takers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back