Burn-in WAV/FLAC file?
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

karljs

Head-Fier
Let me preface by saying that I neither defend nor disparage headphone burn-in, but feel if there's a small chance I can get better sound for free then I might as well do it.

So, does anybody have a good burn-in WAV or FLAC file with short breaks included in the file? All the previous threads about this have pointed to burninwave.com which doesn't seem to be operating any more.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Let me preface by saying that I neither defend nor disparage headphone burn-in, but feel if there's a small chance I can get better sound for free then I might as well do it.

So, does anybody have a good burn-in WAV or FLAC file with short breaks included in the file? All the previous threads about this have pointed to burninwave.com which doesn't seem to be operating any more.

You could try using Audacity to make pink noise and "silent" tracks. With that you can just play them in your favourite media player and have it repeat indefinitely for as long as you wish.
I did this for my most recent headphone, except I just did a long period of pink noise (no breaks).

In Audacity you can go to:
  • Tracks -> Add New -> Stereo Track
  • Generate -> Noise -> pick pink noise (the default 0.8 amplitude should be fine), type in the desired time duration, press OK
  • File -> Export and you can choose the desired container type (WAV or FLAC for example)
  • Repeat steps 1-3 for a "silent" track but in step 2, pick Silence instead of Noise

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
You could try using Audacity to make pink noise and "silent" tracks. With that you can just play them in your favourite media player and have it repeat indefinitely for as long as you wish.
I did this for my most recent headphone, except I just did a long period of pink noise (no breaks).

In Audacity you can go to:
  • Tracks -> Add New -> Stereo Track
  • Generate -> Noise -> pick pink noise (the default 0.8 amplitude should be fine), type in the desired time duration, press OK
  • File -> Export and you can choose the desired container type (WAV or FLAC for example)
  • Repeat steps 1-3 for a "silent" track but in step 2, pick Silence instead of Noise

Worked great! Rather than exporting in between I just added a "silent" bit at the end of the noise. Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back