Burn-in vs Break-in with headphones
Mar 30, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
First, please pardon another journey on a well-worn path.

I wonder sometimes if resolving this whole headphone "burn-in" controversy comes down to semantics.

It makes sense that headphones can change over time. In a recent email, an AKG representative wrote that the process would take around 300 hours for my new 701s.) It's sometimes said that increased flexibility of the diaphragms makes for a smoother tone, though the degree seems to vary from one product to another. Moreover, the pads conform to your ears better over time, producing a better fit.

If that's the case, I can appreciate the various objectionss to "burn-in." It should more accurately be called "break-in." In fact, even our "Burn-In FAQ" says the process is like "breaking in a pair of shoes." In short, we're talking about a mechanical effect, not an electronic one. We're not talking about true "burn-in" (unless, of course, we generalize the term).

That's not to say that burn-in doesn't happen for electronic components or even headphones. Heat is indeed produced along with sound. (IEMs don't burn-in, but once I left my UM2s amped and under my pillow all night; in the morning, they were almost hot to the touch.) I think it's possible that burn-in in the traditional sense happens; but it's easier and probably faster to achieve change in headphone sound through mechanical action.

I don't think most skeptics would have much of a problem with the idea of headphone break-in.

While all this might seem a little semantic and trivial, its bearing on an endless debate perhaps deserves attention.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 6
To burn in, place headphones on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17-19 minutes. Headphones will be burned in when the drivers reach 250 degrees.

Break-in is a different story. Smash the headphones on the ground repeatedly until you see parts go flying. Presto, the cans are broken in. This can be performed after burn-in, but be sure to allow the headphones to cool for 30 minutes beforehand.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
To burn in, place headphones on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17-19 minutes. Headphones will be burned in when the drivers reach 250 degrees.

Thats burn-in or bake-in ?
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

Break-in is a different story. Smash the headphones on the ground repeatedly until you see parts go flying. Presto, the cans are broken in. This can be performed after burn-in, but be sure to allow the headphones to cool for 30 minutes beforehand.

lol... (you aren't serious right?!
eek.gif
)

LOL
580smile.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz
lol... (you aren't serious right?!
eek.gif
)

Professional driver... closed course. Kids, don't try this at home.

tongue.gif

Edit -- nope, I wasn't serious (thought it would be a good idea to state that explicitly, just in case someone was dumb enough to try it -- their parents/spouse/SO wouldn't be happy with the results at all). I'd like to add: Don't ever try microwaving your headphones, the results will be disastrous
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 6
Could possibly be....

I remember reading about a site where someone brought a iPod only to smash it to pieces, film it and posting the pic on a website. There was also some people who did the same with a Xbox360 and so queued to get one of the first just to smash it.

Wonder if those same people would do soemthing like that with the Orpheus if given half the chance? (personally I'd throw myself in front of it to protect it and give it a good home where it was well treated)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back