Burn-in skepticism....
Jan 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My avatar is a mirror.

se

In that case, everything you say is true.
o2smile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that, like so much else in audio, there's truth and there's hype. While I've used the term, "burn in," myself - I prefer the term, "break in." Anything with moving parts has a break-in period, even if it's relatively short. I don't think it's any big stretch to imagine that a speaker driver, with its acoustic suspension, has some kind of "break-in" period. Headfiers are not the only ones who talk about this. Hi-fiers with loudspeakers speak of it as if it were as obvious as the sun rising tomorrow. How much occurs, and over how much use, is anybody's guess. There's no science behind it. Still, people come back saying their headphones sounded better after they'd had them for a while. I know that experience. I've had it, too.

Is it physical or psychological? Don't know; don't care. I'm perfectly okay with the idea that it's largely psychological, not because I think I'm loose a few screws but because I believe that perception is not entirely objective. I discovered that much when I got my first pair of glasses. I'd assumed that my vision would simply go from A to B, but it didn't. My astigmatism, which warped the world one way, was corrected with glasses, which warped the world another way. I thought, at first, my prescription was wrong but in time, it all leveled off. It was a reminder that perception isn't flat or passive. It's a combination of what's "out there" and the brain's inner workings. As Kant argued, we bring something to it.

When you buy a brand-new pair of headphones, could there be a "break-in" period necessary to loosen things up? Sure, why not? There could also be a period of adjustment to the new presentation. Send a city girl to a bluegrass festival and it'll all sound the same the first day and maybe the second, but by the third day, the music will change. Hidden nuances and stylistic diversity will reveal itself (if she doesn't kill herself first).

But even if headphones were subject to burn-in, it's a bit of a stretch to start claiming it for everything else - from amplifiers to capacitors to bare wire. As some have pointed out, any such "burn-in period" would elapse between the time it took you to flip the "on" button and the time it took for the sound to reach your ears. Hype knows no limits or shame.

My money is on the psychology of burn-in, a psychology which doesn't bother me in the least. It just means that headphone listening is an acquired taste, one that requires time in the saddle, one that rewards patience and diligence. Hand your best headphones to the average Joe Lunchbox and you'll often get a perfunctory "listen" and a polite "thank you" as you get them back. But that same Joe Lunchbox will don some plastic crap, some boomy mudbox and say, "Wow, these sound great!"

If, after a period of patient appreciation, your cans reveal their strengths to you, it might just be the rewards of diligence. On the other hand, nothing sounds more sophomorish than a headfier who just got one set of cans and can't wait to get another. I'm much more impressed with someone who can point to a set of cans and can tell you what's great about them.

As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in-between doesn't it. I have no doubts about psychological burn-in. I used to have doubt about the humanly audible significance of headphone burn-in. I now realize that the latter suffered from inexperience with headphones that do change enough with physical burn-in for this to be easily audible. It's not that my hearing is better which it may well be. It's rather the discovery that burn-in benefits differ from can to can.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Research the differences in measured response in speakers.
TS parameters, frequency response, and the like have been documented as changing over time in numerous drivers.

Yup. Burn-in, at least in the speaker world where measurements are easy, is a well-documented phenomenon. It's taken an almost mythic significance in the audio world and naturally there's going to be a skeptical reaction to it and a lot of pseudo-science being waved around, but the principles behind burn-in are sound (pardon the pun).

IME it makes for a fairly slight difference, and most of it happens in the first 24 hours or so. I have compared a brand new SR-003 to a well-used one back to back, and there were noticeable differences. My DT770 also changed quite a bit in the first few hours of playtime. But the HD600 never changed worth a damn, neither did the HD650, or any other 'stat besides the SR-003.

Also, placebo is a very powerful thing, and mental expectations, metal burn-in if you will, is very real and very powerful. There have been times when I have heard a harsh headphone, put it away for weeks, then took it out again being ready for a really harsh and brutal treble, and merely got a strong treble in return and thought "oh... that's not too bad actually." The A250 is a lot like that - I will listen to it after a long hiatus remembering the harshness that made me stop, and at first mental adjustment will scale it down. But then after a while the ear recalibrates and the flaws become more obvious, especially when contrasted with other headphones.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #65 of 70
One argument suggests there might be a sound difference after cable burn-in/break-in. I've not been able to detect any, and I can't recall a single study suggesting it exists.

On this thread, however, the sound differences resulting from headphone break-in has been observed time after time. The differences have been measured and documented numerous times with speakers; they've been observed repeatedly (but not yet quantified) with headphones.

I'm very interested in reading RAFA's upcoming posts as his phones so through their break-in period.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in-between doesn't it.

That is probably nearer the truth. I would agree with that since the combination of 'wearing in' and the mind could be the reason for headphones seemingly always 'improving'.

Ian

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, placebo is a very powerful thing, and mental expectations, metal burn-in if you will, is very real and very powerful. There have been times when I have heard a harsh headphone, put it away for weeks, then took it out again being ready for a really harsh and brutal treble, and merely got a strong treble in return and thought "oh... that's not too bad actually." The A250 is a lot like that - I will listen to it after a long hiatus remembering the harshness that made me stop, and at first mental adjustment will scale it down. But then after a while the ear recalibrates and the flaws become more obvious, especially when contrasted with other headphones.

LOL!!! How true. I can attest to that one. This is one reason I believe in mental burn-in. The opposite of what you describe has happened to me too in that I'd listen to a pair of cans, the HD650 in this case, think them quite sparkly and nice with time.... no veil too... I mean, what the hell is everyone talking about with this veil? I then get my D5000, listen to it for a few days, take out my HD650 for a revisit and there it is.... that veiled sort of sound, thanks to the psychoacoustic conditioning by the D5000. With that I had to mutter 'son of a gun!!'
smily_headphones1.gif

The phenomenon you described must be taken into account during the burn-in routine. The thing is that in the circumstance you describe, there isn't the confounder of burnin time to explain why the phones sound better since you simply put them aside for a while. It's very much like struggling with lifting a weight or running a distance, resting for a few days and then going at it again only to see that it's easier. The mind adapts in this way.

It's therefore so easy to want to give the mind all the credit for headphones changing character with use.

The answer is definitely in-between the physical and psychoacoustic aspects behind that change of perceived sonic character.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One argument suggests there might be a sound difference after cable burn-in/break-in. I've not been able to detect any, and I can't recall a single study suggesting it exists.

That's a tough one. How do you remove the variables involved, i.e., the source and the transducer. In the realm of subtle phenomena as cable burn-in these change with time too.
eek.gif
I don't know if this will ever be reliably demonstrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On this thread, however, the sound differences resulting from headphone break-in has been observed time after time. The differences have been measured and documented numerous times with speakers; they've been observed repeatedly (but not yet quantified) with headphones.

I'm very interested in reading RAFA's upcoming posts as his phones so through their break-in period.

I'd expect that it's only a matter of time before the necessary formal tests are designed and carried out.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #69 of 70
Some very good points about mental burn. When I researched a purchase that ended up being the K702s, it was impossible not to read the many comments of they need to be burned in and it can take a very long time. So the expectation is there.

It is a sales thing as well. How many companies virtually advertise that their products need time to burn in. So the expectation is there as well.

Both approaches could be better described as 'you need to go through a period of mental burn in to get used to the sound'. The idea being that many products do sound different out the box as opposed to long term. How many dynamic and bright systems have been taken home after being auditioned against a leaner more detailed sound, for the listener to soon tire of the brashness they now find with extended listening.

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #70 of 70
Following the comments made by the 'avatar' (Man in the mirror), I got hold of a new 701. It is different in comparison to mine. Subtle differences but they are there so either they change or there are manufacturing differences going on. Or else the pads have become flatter.

Just going straight from one to the other.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back