Burn-in. Real or not?
Dec 24, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #106 of 228
Well, the turbines are the only thing I have used between them, but then the turbines are very bassy too, so I think I find the S4s to have lack of a fair amount of highs so the bass is all I can concentrate on. While the turbines have fairly good highs. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #107 of 228

Quote:
Well, the turbines are the only thing I have used between them, but then the turbines are very bassy too, so I think I find the S4s to have lack of a fair amount of highs so the bass is all I can concentrate on. While the turbines have fairly good highs. 

LOL, OK :p  Well, if you downgrade, it can make things quickly sound worse as you begin to spot inperfections :p  S4s are known for sibilance (in the higher-mids and teble). 

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #108 of 228
Yeah, I guess. I probably won't be using them anymore, seeing how I find them unbearable. But I like the fit and comfort of the S4 that the Turbines can't provide, which is why I find myself using them more. But their mids are rather good though :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #109 of 228

Quote:
IDK if this counts, but I've had a headphone stay bad with burn in (didn't start good, just continued being bad; PureSound) and one that went all over the place, from good to bad to good again...  Please define what "heavy usage" is since that term isn't defined... 

As for the mental burn in, I've stated it many times, it ignores the fact that people who do hear these differences hear it over the same timespan/rate.  If it was truly mental, we would all hear these break-ins differently across time (EG, I couldn't say that the Dunu Hephaes will become better after at least 175 hours but sound terrible after the first 50; which parallels the findings of another member on this forum).  Chances are that our brains aren't perfectly alike to create those type of results. Could it be part mental, possibly, but not entirely...

I still say it's related to our sensitivity to the process of decay (people who have faster decay periods will not hear burn in as much as people who are slow to do the decay process).  Decay process is the brains process to drown out a uniform sound (doesn't need to be a tone, or sets of sounds that are close to each other).  This is also probably related to a persons sensitivity to a change in sound over time (change in the change in sound or ds^2/(d^2*t)).

Heavy usage - around 200+ hours iirc.

Headphones continuing to be bad?  Perhaps you mentally couldn't adjust for the level of problems with the headphone.  For example, I doubt listening to Bose speakers for a hundred hours would ever make me believe they sound good - and if the headphone has an odd enough FR to cause sharp pain the only way to fix that is to lose hearing.  From good to bad and good again could be impacted by mood, connection issues with the headphone/quality control issues, level of concentration, changing between multiple headphones over periods of time, but most likely placement/fit.  All of these are very plausible, compared to the minor amounts of changes from past observed headphones after "burn-in".  While they can't be representative of every headphone out there, odds are the degrees of measurable change are too low.

Your second point actually works against you, in that someone suggests a certain amount of hours and many start agreeing.  You want to argue against placebo, but in fact this enforces it as a hypothesis as the drivers (if burn-in is real) should wear differently.  Especially when you consider different methods of burn-in, difference from unit to unit, listening preferences, etc.  Yet somehow all of the impressions regardless of these massive differences correlate?  If someone only burns in tones in the higher range why are they noticing an increase in bass?  Equally, how are we increasing bass but not impacting treble in an adverse manner (I'm specifically looking at the K70X and Q701 in this case, poster children for "burn-in")?

I would love to see test over audibility of decay in these headphones with relation to burn-in, but it still seems a stretch at this rate.  There's too many jumps, inconsistencies, and straight out contradictions for me to believe in it combined with contradictory experience.  Furthermore, it would have to be proven from a headphone to headphone basis anyway as it's illogical to assume all will be impacted to an audible degree before entering failure mode.

Ultimately, I don't know whether headphones burn-in or not.  If they do though, I will STILL question the degree past struggling degrees of subtle requiring insane levels of concentration to hear unless the driver is of shoddy QC.  They should not exhibit night/day difference because that's an example of a design or manufacturing flaw by most reputable companies.  Equally, if decay changed I could only imagine it would be increased as you're trying to reduce the stiffness of a driver.  If this were audible I could only imagine it being BAD because it would be perceived as increased resonance/poor transients.

Hopefully you can see there's too many issues and questions to explain away without hard evidence at this point with enough documentation detailing equipment and testing procedure.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #110 of 228
We never know whether headphones would burn-in or not, but hey, we always do it just in case right? It's all to rest our minds in peace, knowing that we can get the best sound quality possible out of it. We humans are delusional creatures to start with. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #111 of 228

This isn't always the case. Members like DFKT and I found the IE8s to burn out after a long time using them. He enjoyed the IE8s fresh when compared to most who seemed to enjoy them later on. I have to agree with him on this as well. While I did find the IE8s to improve over time after a long time of usage they mellowed out too much for my liking. So not everyone will find IEMs/headphones to always improve with burn in. And coming from 2 new pairs of IE8s I can't say they sounded exactly the same through burn in or usage ( I have a feeling factors such as the sources I used with the IE8's played a factor in this).
Quote:
From what I've seen, the difference between two pairs of headphones stock is greater than the changes presented with "burn-in".  I find it hard to believe that everyone is claiming a certain model headphone - which will already measure slightly different from another of the same make and model - burns-in identically (yet somehow according to user experience this seems to almost always be the case).  Somehow, all of this burn-in is magically good and never once really negative.  Furthermore, no one seems to demo a headphone and after buying it comment on the difference in sound between the box unit and demo one (even though these usually have greater measurable differences again, COMBINED with the demo having been "burned-in").  I've had the chance of comparing headphones (particularly the K702 and Q701) blind, with multiple subjects, and one having heavy usage - my findings were pretty much a wash.  Not one out of five people could hear a difference, some had musical training and others did not.  This includes myself as a sixth.

At this point I don't know what to say except that I can't find sufficient proof or experience to really believe in it.  I'm much more inclined to believe in mental burn-in . . . that our brains will adjust and compensate more than anything else thus changing our opinion over time of the sound.  The only time I've actually seen MEASURABLE burn-in to a sufficiently audible degree is on subwoofers with hefty magnets and lots of usage.  Even then, after they sit for a day or so they return back to normal operating parameters.

There's too many stretches and leaps of logic for me to believe that headphones burn-in.  Even worse is when one says that every headphone burns-in.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #112 of 228

Quote:
We never know whether headphones would burn-in or not, but hey, we always do it just in case right? It's all to rest our minds in peace, knowing that we can get the best sound quality possible out of it. We humans are delusional creatures to start with. 

I've really only continuously burned in (while not listening) my IE7s as they sounded like complete garbage. This is while I had a well burned in pair of IE8s to compare them to. Generally though I'll listen to my IEMs and not constantly run them in. I prefer to hear the changes over time (I've learned to appreciate the experience) unless its really bad.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #113 of 228
Quote:
This completely contradicts my experiences with the ADDIEMs though.  I went to get them replaced (but kept my tips as I knew they were rare :p).  When I got my new ones, I put on my old tips, the entire sound of the IEM sounded entirely different.  As time went on, they sounded more like typical ADDIEMs...  Again, I didn't change the tip, the only thing that changed was the ADDIEM itself (an old model for a brand new model).

Is it possible to see the graphs that came out from these tests? Along with models of headphones used, and how you tested their frequency response, and how often you periodically collected ifnormation... 

Unfortunately, not. The analyzer used was an old HP model that doesn't have printout and I of course forgot to make pictures. The measurements were made every 24h.
The sound used was "white" PRNG noise. Capsules were a bit "standard", calibrated, no ear model but there was a seal. Fun part was getting the surroundings to be quiet for a week.

Also, certain IEMs are tuned with the basic resonances in mind. Also, there are quality control issues, one pair might be quite different from another in certain cheap brands.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #114 of 228

Quote:

Better to be safe than sorry! Always better to observe the possibility of your deities existence and hope it is merciful in case you happen to be wrong and disbelieve in it, and turns out the deity is an absolute jerk and removes you from existence completely for not obeying.  I feel the same about burn-in, in a way.  Better to just believe it and enjoy whatever benefits result whether they are purely psychological or physical, perhaps both.  I'm willing to stand on my head butt naked if that means I get to have seriously amazing audio quality...but thats just me, not sure what lengths you guys would go to achieve audio bliss :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS BY THE WAY

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #115 of 228

Quote:
Unfortunately, not. The analyzer used was an old HP model that doesn't have printout and I of course forgot to make pictures. The measurements were made every 24h.
The sound used was "white" PRNG noise. Capsules were a bit "standard", calibrated, no ear model but there was a seal. Fun part was getting the surroundings to be quiet for a week.

Also, certain IEMs are tuned with the basic resonances in mind. Also, there are quality control issues, one pair might be quite different from another in certain cheap brands.

You overlooked one crucial thing I said, they burned in like the old pair, so this obviously isn't a case of "bad quality control".  Not only that, they followed the same time span.  You can't say I had to relearn how to put in the IEMs again since there was nothing changed (except new drivers).  Same tips, same everything else.  I listened to the old ones on my walk to the Apple Store.  Then put in the new ones on the walk back to the car that night.  They burned in following the same pattern as the old ones (everything smoothing out; another member on another forum also stated they heard this too; without me telling him).

This is too much coincidence to call it the placebo here... 

Quote:
Heavy usage - around 200+ hours iirc.

Headphones continuing to be bad?  Perhaps you mentally couldn't adjust for the level of problems with the headphone.  For example, I doubt listening to Bose speakers for a hundred hours would ever make me believe they sound good - and if the headphone has an odd enough FR to cause sharp pain the only way to fix that is to lose hearing.  From good to bad and good again could be impacted by mood, connection issues with the headphone/quality control issues, level of concentration, changing between multiple headphones over periods of time, but most likely placement/fit.  All of these are very plausible, compared to the minor amounts of changes from past observed headphones after "burn-in".  While they can't be representative of every headphone out there, odds are the degrees of measurable change are too low.

Your second point actually works against you, in that someone suggests a certain amount of hours and many start agreeing.  You want to argue against placebo, but in fact this enforces it as a hypothesis as the drivers (if burn-in is real) should wear differently.  Especially when you consider different methods of burn-in, difference from unit to unit, listening preferences, etc.  Yet somehow all of the impressions regardless of these massive differences correlate?  If someone only burns in tones in the higher range why are they noticing an increase in bass?  Equally, how are we increasing bass but not impacting treble in an adverse manner (I'm specifically looking at the K70X and Q701 in this case, poster children for "burn-in")?

I would love to see test over audibility of decay in these headphones with relation to burn-in, but it still seems a stretch at this rate.  There's too many jumps, inconsistencies, and straight out contradictions for me to believe in it combined with contradictory experience.  Furthermore, it would have to be proven from a headphone to headphone basis anyway as it's illogical to assume all will be impacted to an audible degree before entering failure mode.

Ultimately, I don't know whether headphones burn-in or not.  If they do though, I will STILL question the degree past struggling degrees of subtle requiring insane levels of concentration to hear unless the driver is of shoddy QC.  They should not exhibit night/day difference because that's an example of a design or manufacturing flaw by most reputable companies.  Equally, if decay changed I could only imagine it would be increased as you're trying to reduce the stiffness of a driver.  If this were audible I could only imagine it being BAD because it would be perceived as increased resonance/poor transients.

Hopefully you can see there's too many issues and questions to explain away without hard evidence at this point with enough documentation detailing equipment and testing procedure.

I wasn't able to adjust?  What?  Have no clue what you are talking about...  But they did change sound, bass went down to improve them a bit, but it just wasn't enough.  Highs remained stringent, lows never really settled, mids were just lost the whole time...  See, the pattern follows again, I create a valid counter-argument and you call fault on my head (doubt of accuracy).  Each and every time... 

As for the good to bad to good, I'm not the only one that went through this, others have noticed it as well.  Even the manufacurer has noticed it and asked people to give it 200 hours before judging (cause they know it goes bad, but then the end result is good).  The bass started really powerful with a huge midbass bump.  Then then bump went down and turned the body slightly large and flabby.  The mids still hadn't come in yet and the highs were slightly stringent.  The bass body cooled down, the mids came in then the highs settled....  This is way too much change for everyone to notice.  The manufacturer didn't even tell me to burn in 200 hours, they just told me to use it for a week.  I had no idea this would happen.  However, I'm not the only ones that see this pattern.  It can't be the placebo if I have no clue it's going to happen.

The second point doesn't work against me because they weren't informed of what changes will happen.  They stated straight observations that matched others, now the placebo can only work if the listener knows a possible expected outcome beforehand...  In this case they don't.  The placebo effect is no longer possible because of this.  As for psychological, if it was truly psychological, we would not see the same change over the same time span, but we do.  Both of these ideas are invalid and shouldn't be used.  Don't blame the listener because they don't agree with you.  Use these (mass amount) of observations and come up with a revised hypothesis on why it happens. 

I still stick to my idea that it's the fact that drivers do change over time, and at the same rate (so if you can hear it, it'll follow the same patter; in = out).  If a person is not sensitive enough to the change in the change of sound over time (ds^2/d^2t), then he will not be able to hear it.  If you are that sensitive, then you will hear it, and since the headphones really can't change at any other rate, then it'll burn in at relatively the same rate.  Therefore, they not only will hear it, but they'll hear it (relatively) the same as everyone else who can hear it.  The time it takes to notice it may differ a little (that's why it's a time frame for something to happen; eg, 20-30 hours).

Now, I'm surprised no one has questioned it yet, but why can some people be sensitive enough, and some not?  We're all human right?  Evolution, blame that.  Less sensitivity to a changing sound over time actually allows us to drown out annoying sounds which in turn allows us to relax and get to sleep quicker.  Now, how was it an advantage before?  Well, take a step back, when we were animals, there was no way we lived in nice protected houses; hearing a small noise (small change in the change of sound) would result in out defense mechanism working up.  This would be the difference between life and death.  However, in todays day and age, it makes sense that sleep > protection since we have houses to protect us; so evolution will run in that direction.  As time goes on, less and less people will be able to hear this burn in (if my theory is correct).  I'll be long gone before that happens though :p

Now, do we know burn in exist?  Do I know it exist?  No, this is just a hypothesis that can always use some updating.  However, the ideas of psychological and placebo are no valid (read above, the others didn't know about it at all, but still came up with similar results), so those ideas mustn't be used. 

As for the idea that you and your group of friends didn't hear change, I really can't account for that unless chance had it that all of you were not sensitive enough.  Now let's say it is psychological or placebo, someone would have (at least one of you) created some phoney connection (according to your hypothesis) when someone told them to list down any changes.  But they didn't...  It's human nature to connect these ideas, but none of you did. 

Now how does this differ from my idea?  These observations I use are pure.  That is, they weren't done experimentally, people just came out of the blue and said they did hear these changes.  You can't use the human nature to connect ideas since there are no 2 ideas to connect.  These ideas (that were created entirely on their own) also matched my ideas (created entirely on my own) since I didn't know about burn in yet (yet I still noticed this).  Remember, psychological and placebo have requirements to work:
  1. The listener must be informed of it at some point (neither me or other forum members have) about it
  2. It will differ in time span (for psychological) as for mentally adjusting to something, it takes time - this time is different/differs from one person to the next. -> now why must mine not require time span?  Because it's based on the fact that the drivers do burn in at the same rate, you can't hear anything else if you do hear it.
These are the two main flaws you have in your argument is that there are way to many observations that contradict these...  Remember, my question is no longer, does burn in exist, I can really care less.  I'm more into why people hear these things the way they do and why some people don't.  We need a universal reason, and one exists, but it won't be psychological (mental) or placebo as there is evidence against it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #116 of 228
When Joseph Grado Suggests 100hr Burn in on his Moving Armatures, I'll take his word for it

Edit Corrected Grammar

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #117 of 228
Quote:
You overlooked one crucial thing I said, they burned in like the old pair, so this obviously isn't a case of "bad quality control".  Not only that, they followed the same time span.  You can't say I had to relearn how to put in the IEMs again since there was nothing changed (except new drivers).  Same tips, same everything else.  I listened to the old ones on my walk to the Apple Store.  Then put in the new ones on the walk back to the car that night.  They burned in following the same pattern as the old ones (everything smoothing out; another member on another forum also stated they heard this too; without me telling him).

This is too much coincidence to call it the placebo here... 

And you've overlooked a part of my previous post. Extra lubrication and softening of tips is enough to change sound noticeably. Did you use the same old tips?

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #118 of 228

Quote:

And you've overlooked a part of my previous post. Extra lubrication and softening of tips is enough to change sound noticeably. Did you use the same old tips?

Yes, I used the same old tips (the reason why I kept them :p)  LOL.  Same tips = no change in sound (theoretically). Everything was the same except for the actual IEM.  Same tips, same housings (obviously), same way to insert (over the ear).  Everything.  The only difference was that these were new drivers.  They burned in like before (or extremely similar).

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #119 of 228
I've been making two point:

Mental compensation in regards to patterns - trying to "fix" sound.
Placebo based on natural expectation - it does not even need an outside influence.

Quote:
I wasn't able to adjust?  What?  Have no clue what you are talking about... 

Our brains tend to compensate for flaws in audio reproduction looking for patterns of how something *should* sound.  This is why dips tend to be less noticeable than peaks for example.  On the other hand, some flaws our brain just can't seem to compensate for.

But they did change sound, bass went down to improve them a bit, but it just wasn't enough.  Highs remained stringent, lows never really settled, mids were just lost the whole time...  See, the pattern follows again, I create a valid counter-argument and you call fault on my head (doubt of accuracy).  Each and every time... 

Except you haven't, you're saying it DID change - but not enough.  Instead, that re-enforces my point.

As for the good to bad to good, I'm not the only one that went through this, others have noticed it as well.  Even the manufacurer has noticed it and asked people to give it 200 hours before judging (cause they know it goes bad, but then the end result is good).

You'll also note many say to put other headphones away and strictly use theirs for a period of time, and the headphones that sounded great to you before when you pick them up sound odd.  Once again, if your brain compensates for something and you try to change it the cycle starts again.  The longer you have to get used to a headphone, the less likely you are to return it as you adjust to it.

The bass started really powerful with a huge midbass bump.  Then then bump went down and turned the body slightly large and flabby.  The mids still hadn't come in yet and the highs were slightly stringent.  The bass body cooled down, the mids came in then the highs settled....  This is way too much change for everyone to notice.  The manufacturer didn't even tell me to burn in 200 hours, they just told me to use it for a week.  I had no idea this would happen.  However, I'm not the only ones that see this pattern.  It can't be the placebo if I have no clue it's going to happen.

Possible outcomes:

You've mentally adjusted to the signature and others did too.
You could have read a post and agreed after the fact that "yes, THAT'S what happened" after the fact.
You all expected the flaws many agreed upon to be fixed, thus your end results were similar.

The second point doesn't work against me because they weren't informed of what changes will happen.  They stated straight observations that matched others, now the placebo can only work if the listener knows a possible expected outcome beforehand...  In this case they don't. 

Or they agreed after reading others impressions?  Or, they adjusted to the sound signature?  Or they all heard the flaw, but when told burn-in may fix it it planted the notion that it would?

The placebo effect is no longer possible because of this.  As for psychological, if it was truly psychological, we would not see the same change over the same time span, but we do.  Both of these ideas are invalid and shouldn't be used.  Don't blame the listener because they don't agree with you.  Use these (mass amount) of observations and come up with a revised hypothesis on why it happens. 

You must first prove that it does happen at a physical and not mental level.  You have not provided sufficient evidence of this, as first evidence must be provided that one can properly identify a new and burned-in set.  Moreover you've skipped my point that each driver should wear DIFFERENTLY - that a single time-span is more likely to be a result of placebo.  Even worse, if test tones aren't used and music is that isn't Mono the wear wouldn't be symmetrical should the drivers should sound different between L/R . . . yet I doubt you'll hear an imaging complaint or channel imbalance afterwards . . .

I still stick to my idea that it's the fact that drivers do change over time, and at the same rate (so if you can hear it, it'll follow the same patter; in = out).  If a person is not sensitive enough to the change in the change of sound over time (ds^2/d^2t), then he will not be able to hear it.  If you are that sensitive, then you will hear it, and since the headphones really can't change at any other rate, then it'll burn in at relatively the same rate.  Therefore, they not only will hear it, but they'll hear it (relatively) the same as everyone else who can hear it.  The time it takes to notice it may differ a little (that's why it's a time frame for something to happen; eg, 20-30 hours).

You ignore the fact that each methodology for burn-in is different, yet somehow all of these opinions are the same?  How does that not strike one as odd or flawed in the least?  Each one is done at different volume levels - how can we even assume the levels used are enough to induce the MINIMAL measurable differences Tyll showed (once again, within margin of error too)?  Yet somehow, magically almost, everyone decides on the same point where everything changes night and day.

In-spite of all the odds though, somehow almost everyone agrees on this arbitrary number.  The guy that cranks headphones till he can still hear it through a drawer agrees 200 is enough, as does the guy that's listening to classical at moderate levels that 200 is enough - yet the levels of theoretical wear over time should be COMPLETELY different (and assuming burn-in is real, so should the sound).

Now, I'm surprised no one has questioned it yet, but why can some people be sensitive enough, and some not?  We're all human right?  Evolution, blame that.  Less sensitivity to a changing sound over time actually allows us to drown out annoying sounds which in turn allows us to relax and get to sleep quicker.  Now, how was it an advantage before?  Well, take a step back, when we were animals, there was no way we lived in nice protected houses; hearing a small noise (small change in the change of sound) would result in out defense mechanism working up.  This would be the difference between life and death.  However, in todays day and age, it makes sense that sleep > protection since we have houses to protect us; so evolution will run in that direction.  As time goes on, less and less people will be able to hear this burn in (if my theory is correct).  I'll be long gone before that happens though :p

That's a hypothesis, and with absolutely no evidence.  On the other hand placebo and mental compensation have plenty of studies and aren't nearly as far reaching as you seem to think.

Now, do we know burn in exist?  Do I know it exist?  No, this is just a hypothesis that can always use some updating.  However, the ideas of psychological and placebo are no valid (read above, the others didn't know about it at all, but still came up with similar results), so those ideas mustn't be used. 

You're assuming it's invalid yet the idea can be planted by merely suggesting it may fix flaws or improve the product.  Furthermore, there's cases of placebo working even when the subject was told it was placebo - so even if they went in with no expectation or a contrary one it could STILL create a false positive.  Our brains are amazing, but honestly quite screwy in this sense.

As for the idea that you and your group of friends didn't hear change, I really can't account for that unless chance had it that all of you were not sensitive enough.  Now let's say it is psychological or placebo, someone would have (at least one of you) created some phoney connection (according to your hypothesis) when someone told them to list down any changes.  But they didn't...  It's human nature to connect these ideas, but none of you did.

They weren't allowed to communicate as they were done at different times.  It was also DBT, so they weren't asked to find changes - instead identify the "burned-in" pair vs the "newish" (less than 2hrs) pair.  This is the only way I know of to properly identify placebo v. physical changes.  You can quantify all day long . . . once you can actually properly identify them.

Now how does this differ from my idea?  These observations I use are pure.  That is, they weren't done experimentally, people just came out of the blue and said they did hear these changes.  You can't use the human nature to connect ideas since there are no 2 ideas to connect.  These ideas (that were created entirely on their own) also matched my ideas (created entirely on my own) since I didn't know about burn in yet (yet I still noticed this).  Remember, psychological and placebo have requirements to work:

Is any idea truly out of the blue or unique in this particular case though?  If you believe something will fix an issue, and you all note the same flaws, you will all come to the same fixed conclusion.  Furthermore, there's cases of people being told they're taking a placebo and it STILL working.  You all may have shared the same expectation which isn't all that far fetched.

1. The listener must be informed of it at some point (neither me or other forum members have) about it

False, they just need to assume the same flaws they noted are fixed within a similar degree.  If they all adjust to the sound or assume the sound is fixed they will report the same results.  Therefore you can not eliminate the possibility of placebo or mental compensation for flaws in this case.

1. It will differ in time span (for psychological) as for mentally adjusting to something, it takes time - this time is different/differs from one person to the next. -> now why must mine not require time span?  Because it's based on the fact that the drivers do burn in at the same rate, you can't hear anything else if you do hear it.

You ignore the vast differences in burn-in methods, including levels, tones, music, etc - yet are arriving at the same level of wear . . . how?  How plausible is it that everyone is burning in identically so that they all arrive at the same time like you suggest?

These are the two main flaws you have in your argument is that there are way to many observations that contradict these...  Remember, my question is no longer, does burn in exist, I can really care less.  I'm more into why people hear these things the way they do and why some people don't.  We need a universal reason, and one exists, but it won't be psychological (mental) or placebo as there is evidence against it.

You ignore obvious things like differences in mechanical wear.  An engine in a car used as a daily commuter vs. one regularly taken to races will be different right?  Yet you're saying the methodology is irrelevant and all that matters is a number of hours and as such proves your point that it's clearly based on the driver . . . it doesn't follow.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #120 of 228
By your standards, a pair of headphones should (theoretically) burn in again after you haven't used them for a while...  I review headphones, and I've switched back and forth between headphones numerous times (the ADDIEMs) being the main ones I went to for a good 6 months...  There have been times that I haven't listened to them for 2+ months...  Then when I go back they sound the same (again, according to your theory, my brain should have to adjust mentally to them again), but they don't.  Furthermore, you also forget that when I swapped my ADDIEMs, I went from old ADDIEM to new ADDIEM which sounded different.  However, they somehow (over the course of a week) slowly turned into the sound of the old ADDIEM (Used the same tips throughout).  If it was mental, I would not have to mentally adjust to something I just heard, thus showing that it isn't a mental adjustment.

As for why different volumes and things don't change the time span for something to burn in, I wouldn't doubt that it does.  However, like a car engine, as long as it's running, it breaks in.  You don't have to actually even driving it because it'll still break in as long as the engine is running it breaks in.  Same will apply to another mechanical device like headphones.  It's the fact that they are moving that burns them in.  Although if you do have it move more violently (push volume a bit), they do burn in a little faster, I won't doubt that (EG, another reason why we say something happens between 20-30 hours; we compensate for a range/error in timespan).

As for your statement that placebo doesn't require a person to know the effect, that is entirely false misuse of language.  Placebo Effect is defined by TheFreeDictionary as:

Quote:
placebo effect n. The beneficial effect in a patient following a particular treatment that arises from the patient's expectations concerning the treatment rather than from the treatment itself.

placebo effect
n
(Medicine) Med a positive therapeutic effect claimed by a patient after receiving a placebo believed by him to be an active drug

Note that in this definition it states that it arises from the patient's expectations...  What happens if there are no expectations (EG, they aren't told what to expect), then the placebo effect cannot happen.  The person must expect it to happen for it to happen.  Thusly, it cannot be the placebo effect (stop arguing it because any other use is a misuse of language).  Remember what a placebo is, it's trick (essentially a mind trick) used to make a person think somethigns going to happen (when it won't).  However, that person must think that it'll happen (in order to do this, they must have been told that burn in will/could happen).  Since they weren't, it's not a placebo effect.

The same goes for your term psychological.  You area also abusing language when you use this term as well.  Since I just showed an instance that wasn't psychological with another forum member telling me they thought the ADDIEMs became smoother (which in my recollection they did twice).  This other member didn't have any clues of what burn in was, he just out of the blue said it.  There is no placebo/psychological because he didn't know about it before.  Stop abusing language and redefining terms, use the actual definition and stop using your own. 

As for the evolutionary hypothesis with no evidence, read it more carefully.  You obviously are missing the evidence pertaining to better sleep/other modern day uses of decay (EG that big machine you're typing on and the television in the background).  In the past, a small noise (which you can easily ignore today due to evolution) would wake you up so you can go out and make sure it's not dangerous (we don't have to worry about a panther in our houses today; we did in the past).  Evidence comes in more than one form, the most primative being observation.

As for your idea about car engines...  You should read up on them...  To begin, they use different materials and technology in the first place, they obviously are going to be different.  A race car engine is designed to last one race.  Some may not make it that far.  Furthermore, a race car engine is also run before it's actually raced to literally break it in....  Mechanical parts need break in, headphones are no different. 

Your definitions of both placebo and psychological imply that the user knows about it, therefore he expects it.  If it happens out of the blue, it's an observation, not a psychological problem / placebo.  Mental adaption is still defeated in my experiences with the ADDIEM...  By your standards, I would have to re-burn in the ADDIEM each time I reviewed a few headphones (without using the ADDIEM).  And the only time I had to do it was going from ADDIEM to new ADDIEM.  The new one burned in again.  Your mental/psychological explaination doesn't cover what happened there, stop trying to fit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back