Burn in question.
Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

csf101

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just ordered my Audio Technica M50 Headphones today off Amazon. My question is though, what method do you guys Typically use to achieve a good Burn In on the Headphones? I know that there is many different ways to, I'm just curious to see what you guys use.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
Hey guys,
I just ordered my Audio Technica M50 Headphones today off Amazon. My question is though, what method do you guys Typically use to achieve a good Burn In on the Headphones? I know that there is many different ways to, I'm just curious to see what you guys use.

Just listen to your music or whatever. Burn in is one of the biggest rituals in high fidelity, and many hobbies. You can rub her down with snake oil, but she's the same headphone regardless. Some disagree, and swear things change. I think their perception changes after becoming accustomed to the headphone. So far, there's been no empirical measuring of burn-in, and it remains a highly talked-about phenomena with no proof, a lot of believers, and a lot of people who doubt it or don't think it's exists out right. Pick a camp if you wish. Get lost in the arguments, and forget to simply enjoy music. It's your time, after all...

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
Just listen to your music or whatever. Burn in is one of the biggest rituals in high fidelity, and many hobbies. You can rub her down with snake oil, but she's the same headphone regardless. Some disagree, and swear things change. I think their perception changes after becoming accustomed to the headphone. So far, there's been no empirical measuring of burn-in, and it remains a highly talked-about phenomena with no proof, a lot of believers, and a lot of people who doubt it or don't think it's exists out right. Pick a camp if you wish. Get lost in the arguments, and forget to simply enjoy music. It's your time, after all...

Very best,

What MalVeauX says.

I believe there is a difference (very subtle) but mostly its mental. I always just put my headphones to use and let em burn/break in while I enjoy music.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 16
My rule is that if they sound good out of the box, don't bother.

If I want a possible free very slight improvement I can shove them in a drawer while playing music overnight. Doesn't hurt. Pink noise or random bass heavy music up louder than listening level. Not too high.

Only had two headphones that required burn-in. Koss Pro DJ 100 and KRK KNS-8400. Everything else must have burned in on my head.

Had 3 8400s and only one needed burn-in. With my DJ100 out of 5 pairs, only 2 needed it. Weird. Both I actually thought were defects!! No lie.

It seems some headphones sound weird and muffled out of the box. If that's the case, I burn them in. There's a few things to look for, but I won't go there.

On my FIRST 8400 it had very very edgy treble, but went away with burn-in. Like icicles in the ears. Maybe I had a lemon.

Never had a Sennheiser or AKG that needed burn-in to sound good. Lucky me..

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 16
I am not sure where i stand on the whole burn in thing. I have a pair of Klipsch S4's that i burned in for like 200 hrs as i heard that it would help with their sibilance. So after 200 hrs they sounded great. I later bought some IE7s listened to them for a couple months. Went back to my S4s and they sounded the same as i remembered when i first got them. So i think its more my brain burning in than the headphones themselves. But hey thats just me.

But as tdockweiler said "burn in" is free(one of the few things in this hobby that are) so why not give it a try

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 16
I cook mine for about a week. My new Panasonic HTF600 and my old pair sound noticeably different. I have always burned in my audio products except cables. Let your ears make the decision for you.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 16
For most of my cans, but not all, burn improved the sound.  Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot.  Sometimes most of the change came over night and sometimes not for a week or so.  Ultrasone believes in it and suggests how long the burn in of the can s they make should take.

I come from an era when there was an extended break in period for cars--with very explicit instructions from the manufacturer on how you should drive and how fast for about the first 500 miles.  So why not headphones, especially when my ears detect a difference in most cases?

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 16
We don't want to start another burn-in debate. Every person have their own opinions on this matter. 

just enjoy the music. 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 16
My LCD2s got better with burn-in. I used JLab's program for 5 hours a day and just normal listening. You can play them when you are not listening to them as well.

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I tried that once. Although I was worried that it would mess up me headphones after hearing what it made them play (I wasn't wearing them though, of course).

It won't mess anything up, the only reason why it sounds so 'damaging' to your ears is because they are not accustomed to hearing all frequencies at once, however headphone drivers can easily take that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back