Burn-in question
Mar 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KriLi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some might say burn does affect SQ, some say it's a myth. Here is the proof.

I asked Dave Rat about those specific headphones in the youtube vid how much impact burn-in would have on the frequency response. So this is 1 proof burn-in is a myth.

There is an easy and 100% guaranteed method to discover whether or not burn-in is a myth. I'm amazed the method hasn't been suggested on here before - maybe it has, it's so bleedin' obvious.

What you do, right, is get a brand new set of the headphones you want to test. Before you even think about trying them out, obtain a pair of the same headphones that have, say, 500+ hours on them. Then try them out side by side, and see if you can notice any differences. I know, I know - genius or what?
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #17 of 20
pink noise is not the best method, its just the most popular. The best way is to have a nice playlist of heavy bass songs mixed with rock so the drivers can learn how to move. Play at moderate volume no more than a few hours a day. NEVER let them go for more than 8 or so hours at a time, thats pushing it.

I only recently learned to not let them go overnight. A few hours at a time is best.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 20
Oke,

I have these cans for a bit more then a month now and I'm very happy with them. Properly burned in they do sound a lot better. Everyone who listened to them out of the box says they improved a lot. 4 Friends tried them on right out of the box and I had them listen again a few days back and they confirmed that the sound is much more balanced out.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 20
Every1 uses his own method for burning in their headphones, though there hasnt been any prove of a method being better for burning in than the other.
Just put them on, listen to your desired music and hear the change :wink:

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Burn-in" is a successful marketing strategy still in use today where customers have their newly purchased cans put through a sound generator or the like while in the mean time they research what to buy next. This strategy has increased profit margins tenfold and has lead to the belief that dressed up standard cables also need "burn-in". In turn, changing the padding and material covering of the headband has increased or decreased certain frequencies to a desired level of the listener. It is questionable, though, if wearing a fresh pair of underwear has any affect on the headphones' tendency for sibilance.

Boo. Tenfold? Directly? Not at all so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back