Burn in overstated
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Head-Fi should start a petition compelling manufacturers to burn-in equipment before shipping it.

If we can demand warrantees, exchange policies, and the like, then it is only fair to demand burn-in as well.

It would cost the manufacturers maybe an extra dollar or two, but that's nothing. Wouldn't it be nice to have something already burned-in and not have to worry about that?

Or do some of you prefer the ritual and ceremony?

Would that be pink noise as well? I mean, lets write a manual how to 'properly' burn in a headphone.. & this coming from a 'cable believer.'

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #47 of 71
I've been awaiting a sticky for pinknoise break-in of headphones, electronics, ICs and power cables in the science forum. Nobody will give up the Supremus break-in recipe cause they'd be gettin a visit by the "lawn crew", not to be heard from again.

It'll never happen.

wink.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #48 of 71
I do believe burn-in effects are often exaggerated on this forum, specifically the hour-by-hour reports of noticeable changes. I've experienced break-in periods with headphones and amps, but the changes are minor and stable after 20-50 hours, especially with headphones. My SP Extreme Platinum sounded better to me after 400 hours, but I truly have no idea if it was the amp or my becoming more familiar with the sound or some combo of the two, and I really don't much care. The K701s are the only headphone I've experienced anything like real burn-in mentioned around here, and that was using two separate headphones, both single ended, one with around 100 hours, and one with well over 300. Unless there were serious fundamental differences between the two supposedly identical headphones, the changes were fairly dramatic and enjoyable, in favor of the one with more hours on it, though I also know the pads used over that amount of time were softer and squishier, and could account for some of what I was hearing. Even the Ultrasone 2500, which I kept being told would improve after 200+ hours of requisite burn-in, did not alter sonically after the first 40 or so hours, in which the highs softened, but not enough to make me want to listen to them. I sold them at around 300 hours. I've heard minor differences in ics and aftermarket Senn cables before, but never experienced burn-in differences at all. Maybe some people can hear differences I can't. So be it. I'm fine with that and leave them to enjoy or not. As for the specific burn-in method I use with all my audio gear, I listen to music. When I'm done, I turn things off, and when I want to hear things again, I turn them back on.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With cables it might be nice that they are burnt in. I kinda of like the ritual with headphones, amps, and dacs. One of the places I buy my cables from will burn then in for you for no extra charge and will let you send them back for reburnin. Here the link to the site.DH Labs D-75
and here is the process they use
Nordost Vidar

Thanks for the URL, quite amusing.
So lets see what they claim:
- [VIDAR] neutralizes charges that build up around the cables and the insulation.
From secondary modern school we know that there is something called electromagnetism and electrostatics.
A magnetic field is produced by the motion of electric charges (like electric current). So if they plug your cable into this device, they _create_ a (probably unmeasurable) magnetic field around the cable.
Electrostatics involves the buildup of charge on the surface of objects due to contact with other surfaces. From driving cars we know: to discharge ourselves we just have to touch the car body.
Luckily, cables touch the floor and are plugged into an amp which is grounded...

Atm I don't have the time to digest and reason the other claims out, but there are further inconsistencies and contradictions in the text..

+1 for: exploding head smiley

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Head-Fi should start a petition compelling manufacturers to burn-in equipment before shipping it.

If we can demand warrantees, exchange policies, and the like, then it is only fair to demand burn-in as well.

It would cost the manufacturers maybe an extra dollar or two, but that's nothing. Wouldn't it be nice to have something already burned-in and not have to worry about that?

Or do some of you prefer the ritual and ceremony?

And if the boutique cable manufacturers added burned-in cables to their price lists with extra markup for the burn in, how would you know they actually did it?
devil_face.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if the boutique cable manufacturers added burned-in cables to their price lists with extra markup for the burn in, how would you know they actually did it?
devil_face.gif

If you are familiar with silver you will know. Unburned silver loses a few frequencies and has a funky sound until it is burned in to me. Silver will sound glorious burned in, especially with tubes to me.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are familiar with silver you will know. Unburned silver loses a few frequencies and has a funky sound until it is burned in to me. Silver will sound glorious burned in, especially with tubes to me.

I'm sorry but I don't think anybody has ever either shown that they can differentiate between silver / copper cables in a blinded test or ever presented a plausible explanation as to why there would be a difference in the first place.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

I'm sorry but I don't think anybody has ever either shown that they can differentiate between silver / copper cables in a blinded test or ever presented a plausible explanation as to why there would be a difference in the first place.

Indeed, I am quite curious to hear about the physics explaining how the burn-in process produces measurable changes in the cable. Lacking that, some measurements showing the changes in cable performance during the burn-in process would be most interesting. Since these changes are apparently obvious to anyone familiar with these cables, this should be a fairly easy task.
popcorn.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #54 of 71
Quote:

Sounds like you have little experience with cables? Go buy some cables and find out. You don't need a DBT to find out how cables work. Just spend the money and find out yourself with your rig listening to music.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Sounds like you have little experience with cables? Go buy some cables and find out. You don't need a DBT to find out how cables work. Just spend the money and find out yourself with your rig listening to music.

I'm curious.

Have you tried the frozen photographs tweak yet?

Basically you take two photographs of yourself, one taken when you were a child, and one taken recently, seal them in a plastic bag and place them in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator.

It not only makes your system sound better, it also makes any other system you listen to sound better.

You can also place photographs of your audio system in your freezer, but it only improves the sound of your audio system, not every other system you listen to like when you use photographs of yourself.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

k

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #56 of 71
If I listen to my UE super5 pro for an extended period, then listen to ER-6i, the Etymotics sound flat and lifeless for a certain time. The UEs sound really over the top if I am used to the ER-6i.

My ATH-AD1000 sound a bit weird after extended listening with my HD-600. The HD-600's highs sound rather muffled after getting used to my AD1000.

They say if wear a device which turns your vision upside down, your brain will revert your vision the right way up.

Headphonic Forums | Australian Headphone Forums • View topic - Burnin - should you bother?

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious.

Have you tried the frozen photographs tweak yet?

Basically you take two photographs of yourself, one taken when you were a child, and one taken recently, seal them in a plastic bag and place them in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator.

It not only makes your system sound better, it also makes any other system you listen to sound better.

You can also place photographs of your audio system in your freezer, but it only improves the sound of your audio system, not every other system you listen to like when you use photographs of yourself.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

k

I make my own IC's and power cables. Tried out different cable/connector combination's. Do know what different stuff sounds like from experience. Please try that. You may be pleasantly surprised?

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

I make my own IC's and power cables. Tried out different cable/connector combination's. Do know what different stuff sounds like from experience. Please try that. You may be pleasantry surprised?

In other words, you haven't tried the frozen photograph tweak and are just dodging the question.

Why haven't you tried it?

k

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #59 of 71
I give a screw about photography! Ask my wife!

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

I give a screw about photography! Ask my wife!

But you give a **** about how your system sounds, don't you?

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back