burn-in is incredibly real
Dec 11, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by vrom
Even used cables need to get used to the synergy of the system as well.

That idea sounds more like your ears (head) getting used to a new sound - or getting used to the new sound that it convinced itself was there.

Dec 12, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #17 of 18
This same experience happened when I upgraded to the cardas with the HD600. I was using a Meridian 507 as my reference source and the sound demonstrated a very perceptable improvement: less treble/upper midrange glare, quicker attack, improved bass extension, and smoother sound over a period of about 50 hours. Sadly to say I was just loaning the 507, which was a great player (it had been listened to for over a year).

All components were kept at the same temperature and configured in an identical fashion. The reference recordings used for this are the new Steely Dan CD and three separate recordings of Max Bruch's Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, as well as numerous recordings of synthesized or electronic music.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 12, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 18
Mentioning the Cardas Cable. I also had that cable (and sold it again) for my sennheiser 600 and felt that it needed burn in time. Cardas included a folder with a rather detailed explanation why the Cardas cables ara sensitive for burn in. Even shaking or moving a cable could result in a chemical imbalance. Excuse me if I use terms here but Cardas mentioned it. The same could easily be true of the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back