burn-in for Balanced Armatures?
Jun 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

grapefruit

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my jh5's (finally), and I noticed that they're a tad hot on the treble. Will burn-in reduce that?  I know that burn-in can improve the sound of dynamic drivers, but I am unsure if the same would happen for BA's.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 26
I have experienced changes to BA IEMs/CIEMs with burn in time and time again, so I say yet.  Also, over time as you build up cerumen on the shells, they become easier to insert/remove and develop a better seal.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
I have experienced changes to BA IEMs/CIEMs with burn in time and time again, so I say yet.  Also, over time as you build up cerumen on the shells, they become easier to insert/remove and develop a better seal.

My 150 posts can beat up your 4000+ posts.
Do bear in mind the variables that can account for assumed burn in.
Not saying you didn't hear it, just saying there's more at play.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 26
I love threads about burn in. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
My 150 posts can beat up your 4000+ posts.
Do bear in mind the variables that can account for assumed burn in.
Not saying you didn't hear it, just saying there's more at play.

I realize there are many factors, and many of those factors aren't taken into account by people that don't believe in burn in.  And I am not trying to get in an argument, but I find it funny that a dynamic can burn in but a BA can't when they have much of the same structure and operating principals as a dynamic driver...magnet, coil, membrane/diaphragm, but they don't burn in.  I also believe in brain burn in...

Something to read: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 26
I've had BAs burn in...  Lots of examples...  Westone W4 (burned in twice), Phonak PFE232 (burned in twice), Etymotic HF2...  List goes on.  They do burn in, but each differently.  Change isn't as drastic and upfront as dynamics though.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 26
A bit over-simplistic, no? Of course a dynamic driver burns in, the real question is more like is it an audible difference? I don't think anyone believes after a year of use the driver to be the same, but it might sound the same.  I don't know enough to comment on BAs, and I believe JVC's nanotube drivers might stay pretty much the same for being so rigid.

Quote:
Westone W4 (burned in twice)

popcorn.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 26
I believe in exercising a device at it's operating range for a time.

Kinda like shoes, tires, an engine... The list goes on.

Whether I can hear it or not, is the question ???

But who am I to say? I like Apple Ear Buds!

LOLz, Jim

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 26
I think it's more a matter of how much individual devices burn in and if the listening situation is revealing enough to perceive it. I've always experienced burn in with every transducer I've paid attention to. Electrostatics the least but that likely has to do with the electrical components instead of anything mechanical. I've found that BAs move the least but that the change can be an important one, that MAs take the most time and move like/more than dynamics probably due to their diaphram/surround materials and config.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 26
A bit over-simplistic, no? Of course a dynamic driver burns in, the real question is more like is it an audible difference? I don't think anyone believes after a year of use the driver to be the same, but it might sound the same.  I don't know enough to comment on BAs, and I believe JVC's nanotube drivers might stay pretty much the same for being so rigid.

Quote:
Westone W4 (burned in twice)

popcorn.gif

Let me clarify that I burned them in and heard a difference. Twice. They followed a similar pattern to :)

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back