Burn-In / Break-In.. or whatever. HELP
Jul 7, 2002 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sonycrx

New Head-Fier
Well.. sorry about this.. but i have some problems with english
rolleyes.gif

I just buy a Sennheiser HD580 and i see some posts that say something about "Burn-In" "Break-In" errmmmm... whats that??? its the same?? I dont know what it means
frown.gif

That means that I need to do some 'special' test to my HD580's to get the best quality??

What and how must I do ?

Sorry bout that silly question
frown.gif

thanks in advance guys

PD: I just buy my HD580 due to your posts about it guys
smily_headphones1.gif
It seems very cool!

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 11
burn in and break in are the same things theyre the period from when you buy the headphones (new) until they reach theyre full potential. when you buy new headphones they wont sound as good as they will when you put about 50 hours of use on them. a way to burn them in faster is just pleg them into a stereo of CD player or sumthing over night for a few nights with a bass heavy song on repeat at loud volumes.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 11
The best way to break them in is to use them.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as volume level goes, I read that breaking headphones in at low volume for a few hours, then medium volume for a few hours, then normal volume for the rest of the time is a good idea. I have no idea if varying the volume is beneficial in any way though, so it's up to you.

As far as breaking in at loud volume goes, I would say to have them play with music a little bit louder than you would normally listen, but not extremely loud because that can damage your headphones.

Mostly, just enjoy your headphones and they will break themselves in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 11
True, letting them play overnight will burn them in faster.

Though I pretty much wore my Etys for 24 hours straight when I first got them, and they sounded better than anything I had ever heard before, before break-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Don't let burn in stop you from listening. Listening is burn in as well. Just play music through them when you are not using them. I think part of it is your brain getting use to the new and improved sound as well.

Jul 8, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 11
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all dudes

Just one question... should I do the burn-in process with the kind of music that i normally listen to? I mean... its possible that if you burn-in your headphones with, for example rock music, it sounds better with this kind of music due to some "adaptability" of the headphones to that type of sound? Or if someone like to hear disco music he should burn-in his headphones with disco music... etc, etc...

mmm.. perhaps i'm paranoid
rolleyes.gif
hehehe

thx

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Here's what you do:
Take the little headphone plug and stick it into the headphone jack of what ever you use. Pop in a CD and hit play, listen. That's it. If that is too complicated for you, click here and do a search for "break in".

Don't put in crap you don't normally listen to, don't turn up the volume, and don't pour water on your headphones.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

don't pour water on your headphones

It only took me two or three tries before I realized that pouring water on headphones does not in fact improve the sound. Learn from my experience!
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Don't put in crap you don't normally listen to, don't turn up the volume, and don't pour water on your headphones.

Of course you should never pour water on them, it is too random and you do not get good penetration. The proper method is to soak them in tepid water for at least 48 up to 72 hours. It is important that you change the water every 4 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back