Bunch of Questions~
Nov 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im pretty new here on the forums. I just have a couple questions on Portable headphones, because I am planning to buy a new pair this year.

1. I have looked at the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 and ATH-ANC7b, and read that the only difference is that the C7b has slightly better sound and slighty better padding, but has horrible sound leakage...is this true? Does the C7 have any sound leakage as well?

2. I have also looked at the Bose QC 3 and QC15, and was wondering if those would be a better (and higher in price) choice over the ATH's.

3. Are there any other Headphones that you recommend? I mainly listen to Rock, and sometimes some Jazz. I am not neccessarily looking for a pair of noise-canceling headphones, but I will be using the headphones on the plane, bus, and during traveling, so noise reduction would be a plus. I would also like to keep the price under $250, but if you reallllly recommend a pair over $250, I might be able to dig a bit deeper.

4. A little off topic, but I am also looking to buy an portable amp for my iPod Touch . If you recommend a headphone, would you recommend any specific type of amp? Would you recommend any specific type of amp for the ATH, QC15, or QC 3? (currently thinking of getting the nuforce icon mobile, but it seems to not be getting good reviews...would like to keep it under $100)

Thank you for helping this noob out! xD

Also, now looking at Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Monitor Headphones, if you have any opinions on that~

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Right, well, hello and welcome to head-fi!

1. I can't comment on ANC7 vs ANC7b as i've only used the ANC7 (i think). It does leak a surprising amount of sound out, if that's a problem i'd go with iems'. Also it's really not that great sounding, especially when you turn the ANC on, which is, kind of, the point to them.

2. No Comment, also, i haven't heard them.

3. Headphones or earphones (and if not then why not?). Unless you want headphones merely to look like an audiophile or you have weird ears then that's fine but for portable use i'd recommend iem's anyday, their isolation (in and out) is much better.

4. No, i'd recommend you put the budget into either better headphones, music or scotch.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, I already have a pair of IEM's (NuForce NE-7M) and Im pretty happy with them =/
I just want a pair of headphones for long travel and comfort. Also for watching movies on my laptop and such~

Yea, sound leakage is a bit of a problem =/
I am now looking intensivly in the ATH-M50S, as it seems to be getting good reviews whereever I search (especially on this site^^).
Do you guys think I should just go with the ATH-M50S, or invest a bit more money and get something else (like the Bose QC's or Shure SRH 840)? If so, is an amp necessary/recommended for use? Thanks~

Forgot to mention: I wear glasses pretty much all the time~

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi,

1: Apparently the ATH-ANC7b is an improvement over the ATH-ANC7.  I was looking at this a while back, but I cant remember where.  Google is also a best bet about it
smily_headphones1.gif

2: I think the best course of action is for you to go to a shop to try them out.  Personally, I would NOT recommend the QC3 as I do not like the 'on-ear' headphones.  If you had to choose, go for the QC15 or QC2 (the predecessor of the QC15).

3: Heres my list of ones to consider (ones I've tried and recommend) - QC15, Sennheiser PXC450 (I dont like the PXC 310 or PXC 360 for 'on-ear' design non preference), Goldring NS1000 (some shops do sell them much cheaper than RRP).

Heres my other list (of ones I've heard good things about, but not personally tried) - ATH-ANC7b, Sony MDR-NC500D, Denon AH-NC732 or AH-NC800.

4:  Have you heard of the Fiio E7 ?  Its the same size as the iPod Touch.  Its pretty decent, unless you want to invest a lot of money for Meier Audio or Graham Slee headphone amps.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, right now, after going through this forum and many other sites, I am between the Audio Technica ATH-M50S and the Shure SRH840...I am slightly leaning toward the M50S because I do like bass, and also because it's $50 cheaper than the SRH840.

Yea, I was actually looking at the Fiio E7 and the E5, and decided that the E5 kinda looks like it wouldn't do much...The E7 is 3rd in rank for portable amps on amazon (1st and 2nd taken by the E5).
RIght now, I am between the Fiio E7 and the NuForce Icon Mobile. If I were to get the M50S, which amp would better suit the headphones? Thank you~

Also, if you have any good dealers for ebay, that would be helpful as well!

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 9
One of the many things that I like about my M50s is that they sound just fine out of my ipod without an amp.  As a fellow newb, I know it is easy to get carried away and think that you must get an amp, but really I have come to the conclusion that better headphones are the best bang/buck upgrade you can make.  Furthermore, not every headphone needs external amplification and often, it seems, those that benefit only slightly from amplification seem to need the more expensive amps to do so.  My point is to take it slow.  Start off with picking up the headphones you want before you worry about an amplifier.  When you get your phones, plug them into every source you can find from AV receivers, too computers, too DAPs....if something with a great power source sounds better than your ipod then you might want an amp, but if not don't worry about it.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 9
I have no idea about ATH-M50s and SRH840.  My travel headphones have noise canceling in them (QC15 and PXC450).

I have the Fiio E5, and it does pack a punch (for its price, anyway) and is a really good cheap amp.  However, a better amp should be used for headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
  Personally I think the E5 is for budget IEM's more than headphones.

I was torn between the E7 and the Icon mobile as well a while back, and got the E7 in the end.  There was a good reason for it, but I forgot what
smily_headphones1.gif
  I occasionally use the amp, but not as much.  As I do not have a Touch, I tend to only use the E7 as a portable DAC.  It fits well with my netbook.  Also, the Fiio E9 will make way next month which is a nice addition to my E7.

Heres a forum post that might interest you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501714/fiio-e7-vs-nuforce-icon-mobile

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
One of the many things that I like about my M50s is that they sound just fine out of my ipod without an amp.  As a fellow newb, I know it is easy to get carried away and think that you must get an amp, but really I have come to the conclusion that better headphones are the best bang/buck upgrade you can make.  Furthermore, not every headphone needs external amplification and often, it seems, those that benefit only slightly from amplification seem to need the more expensive amps to do so.  My point is to take it slow.  Start off with picking up the headphones you want before you worry about an amplifier.  When you get your phones, plug them into every source you can find from AV receivers, too computers, too DAPs....if something with a great power source sounds better than your ipod then you might want an amp, but if not don't worry about it.

True...looks like I got a bit carried away xD
I have pretty much decided on the M50S, and I will keep the E7 and Icon Mobile in the back of my mind, maybe for when I get a pair of headphones for use at home. Thanks for cooling me down!

Quote:
I have no idea about ATH-M50s and SRH840.  My travel headphones have noise canceling in them (QC15 and PXC450).

I have the Fiio E5, and it does pack a punch (for its price, anyway) and is a really good cheap amp.  However, a better amp should be used for headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
  Personally I think the E5 is for budget IEM's more than headphones.

I was torn between the E7 and the Icon mobile as well a while back, and got the E7 in the end.  There was a good reason for it, but I forgot what
smily_headphones1.gif
  I occasionally use the amp, but not as much.  As I do not have a Touch, I tend to only use the E7 as a portable DAC.  It fits well with my netbook.  Also, the Fiio E9 will make way next month which is a nice addition to my E7.

Heres a forum post that might interest you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501714/fiio-e7-vs-nuforce-icon-mobile

Wow, how did I miss a thread that is about someone who is literally in the same position as me! xD
Thanks, I will be following the thread~

Oh, and have any good place to buy the M50S? Amazon has them up for $107, and ebay has them for a bit cheaper...but I dont know which dealer is good or not xD

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Also, for what it's worth I absolutely love my M50 out of my ipod and laptop, but not out of my netbook.  I just ordered an Icon uDAC-2 for it and will probably throw some thoughts out about it later on, but then again it is a DAC and an Amp intended for desktop/transportable rather than portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back