Building up a hi-fi setup-PC's and DAC's
Apr 20, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 41
well.. i see that a lot of people really recommend the ART DI/O .
but it has coax input (what's that exactly? i can't find any pics of its behind) and a converter will cost about 150$!
any solutions? is there a soundcard with coax output that is ok? (just for music,no games)

Apr 20, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 41
the art di/o has spdif (not optical) digital input and outputs, as well as 1/4 inch input and outputs.

You will need to buy 2 1/4 inch -> rca adaptors in order to use it with an rca capable source.

http://www.ba-electronics.com/audioadp.htm

part # 35-487

I ordered two from this company an they came pretty quickly, sound fine as far as I can tell.

The best price for the di/o is going to be from fullcompass.com, just give them a call and they will quote you something (most likely ) around 100$.

far as sound cards go, I use the m-audio audiophile which has spdif in/out on it. the m-audio revolution I posted (for about 70.00) has spdif out as well, and is even cheaper than the audiphile.

Hope this helps...

Apr 20, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 41
spdif in/out ?
what's that?
i planned on using some usb digital output device i have, as someone explained to me that all digital outputs would be the same...

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 41
S/PDIF is the digital signal standard that's used for all consumer-level gear (and some pro gear too). When you read "S/PDIF," just think "digital output."

There are two kinds of S/PDIF connections: optical (uses a fibre-optic cable) and coaxial (uses a standard cable). You can get converters between the two. If you shop around, you'll be able to find a converter for around $25, if you need one. (Someone mentioned $150, that's way too high.)

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 41
WMA 355K VBR > M-Audio Revo is my source of choice lately. It was intended to be a 'good enough' source for when I want music and game sound but ended up besting my Shanling CD-S100
eek.gif
Yeah that's right WMA and a ~$100 sound card bested a $600 stand alone CD player. The Revo really nails staging and microdynamics. Both my Sony and Shanling beat it for macrodynamics but surprisingly not bottom end weight where all three pretty equal out.

Only problem now is I need new cabling since I'd like my integrated at the computer but not on the floor like it is now for testing
biggrin.gif

Will this still be true after I get my Meta and can compare through the Senn 600? Only time will tell. For now though the Revo > Senn can't compete with Revo > Acurus DIA > PSB Gold in any category
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #21 of 41
Sennheiser 600s and PSB Stratus Goldis are voiced completely differently (laid back versus aggressive and slightly forward); if you really like the PSB Golds, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the Senns. Try some higher-end Grados; the sound is much more similar to your speakers.

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 41
isn't there supposed to be a difference between cheap and good optical->coax converters if some costs 150$ and some 25$ ?

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #23 of 41
The ones that cost $150 usually do more than just simple conversion. They may convert both ways (coax -> optical and vice versa) as well as do other things, or act as a repeater. I doubt there's a major difference, but if you haven't bought a source yet, get one with both optical and coax outputs (or just plain coax if you're just using an ART DI/O) and you'll never have to worry about getting an adapter.

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #24 of 41
is there an external usb soundcard with coax output?
people here are talking about the problems of internal souncards..

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
is there an external usb soundcard with coax output?
people here are talking about the problems of internal souncards..

You don't have to worry about the problems of internal soundcards especially if you're just using the digital out. An M-Audio Revolution or Audiophile 24/96 card would do you good.

FYI, an Audiophile -> DI/O -> amp setup is what I'm using now. I love it.

- Chris

Apr 21, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 41
so the audiophile has coax outputs?
or are you using a converter?

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

so the audiophile has coax outputs?
or are you using a converter?

Yes, it has coaxial outputs. Pretty much everything that isn't portable has coaxial outputs for digital out.

- Chris

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #28 of 41
mmm... i guess i will be using the DAC.. so i can get a cheap soundcard with coax outputs.. i see no reason for having an audiophile SC and just use its coax outputs..
any suggestions for such soundcard?

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:12 AM Post #29 of 41
OK, things has changed a bit since i last posted this thread, mostly my understanding
smily_headphones1.gif
it's amazing how much knowledge you can get here. well, to the point:

i bought the ART DI/O DAC, as it's very upgradable and can be really better then almost every soundcard setup, as i see it: i wanted to get rid of possible hardware noise.
you can make the mods yourself, just dig the information. at $100 for the basic unit ( http://www.fullcompass.com/ ) there is no better deal to be found, considering that your setup won't be computer limited!
hardcore ART modifiers report reaching very high level with that device. you will probably invest in a digital cable too (you can get for $30 a 1m DIY Belden 1695A cable from Paul Harnagel (copycatcables@yahoo.com), which is considered to work very good and sound better). you can check out the main FAQ's:
http://home.ca.inter.net/~cfraser/DIOFAQ.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/rchau/audio.html#DI/O

next: the coaxial output device: i don't want to get into that optical-> coaxial convereters, just USB straight to coaxial output.
i have found 2 devices that had coax out, and you get the extra of the optical out for your MD, so you can listen with coax and record with optical. here they are, standing at about $80:

Xitel Pro Hi-Fi Link: www.xitel.com
and the cheapest price to get is: http://www.provantage.com/buy-110XIT...l-shopping.htm
well, for us, its RCA outputs are useless, as the DAC part of the device ain't good even as a sonica, as Wodgy says. you also get long cables..i think this is useless for us.
Edirol UA-1D: just search that on Ebay.
here you get coax and optical inputs and outputs! sweeeet. i can find a good use of digital inputs for recording to the computer.

BUT: we have the LOCKING issue with a DAC, and the ART is known to be a bit sensitive.
response from Xitel support:
Quote:

Always primed with clock data; It means that the digital engine is always outputting a stream of clock data. S/PDIF is bi-phase encoded, consisting of a clock stream and content stream. By transmitting the clock stream continually an external DAC can acquire a lock before the content is transmitted.

mac users: Quote:

Depends on what OS you're using. If you're running OS9.X or a version of OS10 prior to 10.2, the OS sends a priming stream of clock data continuously. In OS10.2 and above, the signal is sent as biphase encoded S/PDIF only when a track is playing.

OTOH, Edirol tech team hasn't respond to me, but has responded to Audiosyncrazy (the Ebay prime seller ATM), and says it's doesn't send a constant signal, and that's why it won't lose a lock! sounds fishy... but Audiosyncrazy told me that if the device is useless for me, they will take it back and fully refund my money (exept delivery).

what do you guys say? which 1 should i go for?

and another thing - as i read, i understand that when we use a CDP, the sound quality is also affected by the accuracy of the spinning engine and other internals. could it be that :
Exact Ausio Copy ripps to lossless file format (HD reading)->USB Coaxial output
will be better then DVD/SACD/whatever that reads a disc with Coaxial output ?
will the USB be the bottleneck? what else?
should we consider the device with the shorter USB cable in that case? does the power supply issues also affects the digital out?

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

what do you guys say? which 1 should i go for?

and another thing - as i read, i understand that when we use a CDP, the sound quality is also affected by the accuracy of the spinning engine and other internals. could it be that :
Exact Ausio Copy ripps to lossless file format (HD reading)->USB Coaxial output
will be better then DVD/SACD/whatever that reads a disc with Coaxial output ?
will the USB be the bottleneck? what else?
should we consider the device with the shorter USB cable in that case? does the power supply issues also affects the digital out?

These are both 16bit devices? I like the Sonica because it's a 24bit device and if I use any DSPs or MP3/MPC files, it decodes to 24bit.

With a CD transport, there's transport jitter which you wouldn't get with a computer but you'll always have electrical noise induced jitter. There's more of that in the computer and some say because of that, digital coax on computer isn't as good as optical.

USB wouldn't be a bottleneck. CD audio is about 1,400kbps and USB 1.x is 11,000kbps.

I don't think USB cable length matters. But if it's like 1 ft, wouldn't that place your device closers to the EMI of the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back