Building up a hi-fi setup-PC's and DAC's
Jul 10, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
what do you guys say? which 1 should i go for?

First, you don't want the Edirol device. If you check the specs for that device, you'll see that it only outputs a 48kHz stream. That means your CDs will be resampled (not good).

As for the locking issue, you're right that it can be a problem sometimes. Nick Dangerous reported once that his ART DI/O (the one he uses in his main rig) had to re-lock on to the signal between every single song when he used the Rhapsody player, and sometimes it would miss the lock. The ART is known to be fairly sensitive in locking, especially after some types of mods.

Right now I'm using an external DAC with a Sonica, and, yes, it does have to re-lock every time you start playing a song, but this happens immediately with the DAC I'm using (no delay).

I'd probably just go with the Sonica Theatre or Xitel Pro Hifi-Link if I were you. Hopefully you won't have any problems getting the ART DI/O to lock. Just don't do any crazy mods
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #32 of 41
I never once got my art di/o to lock:

m-audo audiophile -> straightwire spdif -> art di/o -> MG Head

Not sure why, could it have anything to do with the drivers I am using (linux OSS)? I have been told it's definitely not the cable, forcing 44khz and 96khz both appear to sound fine though.

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
With a CD transport, there's transport jitter which you wouldn't get with a computer but you'll always have electrical noise induced jitter. There's more of that in the computer and some say because of that, digital coax on computer isn't as good as optical

how can i reduce the electrical noise induced jitter?
would you further explain why optical out can be better then coax on computers?

the Xitel is 20 Bit, i can record opticaly to MD with it.i can also connect another person with headphones to its analog outputs, that seems very nice, as i have a portacorda and time probably wouldn't stop me from buying something else then my DT880 (you know, that would stand at their level, like ety's..i don't want to let a friend down with portapros
smily_headphones1.gif
)

the Sonica theater is 24 Bit, & i can't do nothing really good with the surround outputs or the line-in input.

do you think that the possible difference between 24 or 20 bit worth going for the sonica?
here is a review of the Xitel: http://www.exhardware.com/print.php?Id=111&Page=1
i think that when that person talked about the low bass rolloff, he talked about the analog output. this review is not very detailed, that pisses me off
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #34 of 41
Don't worry about the electrical noise thing too much. What Ian is talking about is the +3.3V or +5V lines moving around relative to ground, causing the transmitter to clock things at slightly different times. This isn't that big of a problem. Also, there's not much you can do about this, except going to optical, and some people feel that optical doesn't sound as good anyway. With a computer source it's really a tossup between optical and coaxial -- there are strong arguments on both sides of the coin. Don't worry about it.

The Xitel and Sonica should sound exactly the same through the digital outs, in theory, if you're listening to CDs. The 20/24 bit issue won't matter then. If you're listening to MP3s, I'd go for the Sonica, since you can use the MAD output plugin at 24 bits. I don't believe that the Xitel unit supports even 20 bit playback -- I think the DAC works internally at 20 bit precision, but that the input is limited to 16 bits. Personally, having owned the original Xitel Hi-Fi Link (not the Pro though) and the Sonica, I would also go with the Sonica for sound quality through the analog out.

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 41
mp3 are second priority.
analog outputs are bonus. you know that guys...a friend comes and you just want to listen to your headphones.. sharing that would be great. 2 people just shut up and listen to good music at high quality together..couldn't be better. even a third person could join in, using the optical output->MZ-R50 on paused record mode->headphones !
smily_headphones1.gif

well...Xitel seems to be the practical winner.

this setup will be so flexible (with the ART), that's just great!

Jul 19, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by MichaelFranks
I never once got my art di/o to lock:

m-audo audiophile -> straightwire spdif -> art di/o -> MG Head

Not sure why, could it have anything to do with the drivers I am using (linux OSS)? I have been told it's definitely not the cable, forcing 44khz and 96khz both appear to sound fine though.

there are two reasons for that, as far as i know:
1. the lack of constant signal, that supposed to be transmited from your computer. it depends on your operating system.
2. your digital cable

did you try to connect your setup to another transport with SP/DIF out?

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 41
what is a straightwire cable?

Jul 21, 2003 at 8:41 AM Post #40 of 41
So... what's the consesus on best soundcard under $200? I always see Revo and Audiophile tossed around; those two the main candidates?

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #41 of 41
Echo MIA has balanced 1/4" outputs. I see they have a new version, MIAMIDI. I don't know how it compares to it's predecessor.

EgoSys also has some cards under $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back