Building my Rolling Stones collection Please Help
Dec 13, 2008 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Posts
198
Likes
10
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build up my rolling stones collection but I need some help. So far I have the albums let it bleed, exile on main st, aftermath, beggars banquet, and sticky fingers. Am I missing any other important rolling stones album (not the obscure ones)? Also, I want to make sure I have all the hits, and I noticed the song I can't get no satisfaction isnt on any of the albums. How does the rolling stones discography work? I don't understand did they just release that as a single? Am I missing any other popular rolling stones songs not included in the albums mentioned above?


Thanks, I just discovered rolling stones and I love them.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 12

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Posts
7,235
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build up my rolling stones collection but I need some help. So far I have the albums let it bleed, exile on main st, aftermath, beggars banquet, and sticky fingers. Am I missing any other important rolling stones album (not the obscure ones)? Also, I want to make sure I have all the hits, and I noticed the song I can't get no satisfaction isnt on any of the albums. How does the rolling stones discography work? I don't understand did they just release that as a single? Am I missing any other popular rolling stones songs not included in the albums mentioned above?


Thanks, I just discovered rolling stones and I love them.



I would add 3 more albums
-Tatoo You
-Some Girls
-Between the Buttons

416GN7QFE3L._SL110_.jpg
61xP%2BHKfOKL._SL110_.jpg
418PX82MZSL._SL110_.jpg



Song Satisfaction was an early hit that came from album before Aftermath called Out of our Heads

************

Then get one or more of the great collections
-Hot Rocks + More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies)
or
-London Years Singles

41WHGN7FCNL._SL110_.jpg
41FNQ2K6B9L._SL110_.jpg
or
51EQM60CSHL._SL110_.jpg


These contain all the hits from ABKCO label and have great remasters by Bob Ludwig in 2002, will give you all the important hits and early tracks. The early 1CD hits collections High Tides & Green Grass plus Throught the Past Darkly songs are contained in above collections

***********

There is a good newer collection Forty Licks that contains post ABKCO label work, but CD 2 has a couple new tracks that shouldn't be on a greatest hits collection

41D97JG66DL._SL110_.jpg
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 12

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Posts
7,235
Likes
13
I cannot stress how important it is to get the new Bob Ludwig 2002 remasters of ABKCO label albums........a really amazing improvement in sound from older versions.

Also if you can find the original digipak versions of the 2002 remasters those are the preferred ones to get compared to current jewel case versions

Virgin label should hire Ludwig to complete the remaster job for later Rolling Stones albums on Virgin
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 12

DC2

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Posts
103
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build up my rolling stones collection but I need some help. So far I have the albums let it bleed, exile on main st, aftermath, beggars banquet, and sticky fingers. Am I missing any other important rolling stones album (not the obscure ones)? Also, I want to make sure I have all the hits, and I noticed the song I can't get no satisfaction isnt on any of the albums. How does the rolling stones discography work? I don't understand did they just release that as a single? Am I missing any other popular rolling stones songs not included in the albums mentioned above?


Thanks, I just discovered rolling stones and I love them.



From what you've stated I'm not sure whether you are referring to vinyl or cds. If it's cds, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is also included on the compilation Big Hits (High Tides and Green Grass) which was originally released in 1966. I like this one because it also includes As Tears Go By, Time Is On My Side, Play With Fire AND Get Off My Cloud. The disc also includes some fine artwork.

Please be advised that in ordering the SACDs from online vendors they might send you the DSD mastered cds instead. Amazon did this on my order of the Big Hits... I really like the disc so I won't be asking for another. But you might want to keep that in mind. A look in your local music store for Stones' SACDs is an idea I'd recommend.

How does their discography work? Good luck with that
wink.gif
.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 12

Headphile808

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Posts
2,739
Likes
10
I have the 3-disc SACD set The Rolling Stones Singles Collection* The London Years. It's a 2002 Abkco DSD remaster by Bob Ludwig has the best SQ and is very good for someone looking into this period of their music (1963-71). Also, I would highly recommend Some Girls (1978), & Tatoo You (1981). Saw them Live at Aloha Stadium (1997 Bridges to Babylon Tour).
Good Luck & Hppy Holidays!
Headphile808
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 12

DC2

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Posts
103
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot stress how important it is to get the new Bob Ludwig 2002 remasters of ABKCO label albums........a really amazing improvement in sound from older versions.

Also if you can find the original digipak versions of the 2002 remasters those are the preferred ones to get compared to current jewel case versions

Virgin label should hire Ludwig to complete the remaster job for later Rolling Stones albums on Virgin




Some Girls is the latest Stones' cd I have. On the back it states that Bob Ludwig did remaster it. Do you mean the albums later than that?
 
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 12

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Posts
7,235
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Girls is the latest Stones' cd I have. On the back it states that Bob Ludwig did remaster it. Do you mean the albums later than that?


I just checked you are right, also has remaster credits on Tatoo You album.

I will have to investigate how many Virgin label albums Bob Ludwig worked on
 
Dec 14, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 12

Coop47

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 18, 2008
Posts
199
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Flashpoint yet! It's a brilliant live album from 1995 IIRC that has very good recordings and great mastering.

14b32a3386.



Flashpoint is from the 89-90 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour. First tour with a full backing band (keyboards, horns, back-up vocalists) and the last tour with Bill Wyman. It's not one of my picks, but then again, after Ya Ya's, my favorite live disc is Love You Live which rarely gets any love.
 
Dec 14, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 12

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Posts
220
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Rolling Stones collection is complete without one of the best live albums ever recorded "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"


x2!!!!!!!!!!! Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! is the way rock n roll was meant to sound live!!!!!!!!

Just get it!!!!!!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top