Building my own headphones. Need help
Jun 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

unknownplace

New Head-Fier
So, I was thinking about making my own headphones, out of some random materials in my home. I was thinking of making MDF wood enclosures, but what kind of drivers would i be able to use? They'd have to be like 2 inches max and even then, are there any drivers that can reproduce the whole spectrum of frequencies? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 13
You should take a look at the Orthodynamic thread. There is a ton of useful information for building your own headphones there.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 13
There's a particular product, the SFI Dipole Isodynamic tweeters, that is great for custom builds like that. User Boilermakerfan has some spare sets. You can also get them from eBay, but I'd go to BMF first. There's plenty in the SFI thread, so feel free to search through it for mention of them, but here's something google just turned up for me: http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=7634

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 13
i get most of the assembly procedure but what does this mean? 'reflex' as in reflective strips for bikes/cars? whats the dot part?

[size=xx-small][size=x-small]"I apply 2 reflex strips or a dot" [/size][/size]

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13

The strips could be anything that is non porous that reflects some of the high frequencies back through the driver to the ear.
It's just a way to tune the response of the headphone a bit. If you want you could use a reflective strip for a bike but a plain
paper sticker would work as well.
Quote:
i get most of the assembly procedure but what does this mean? 'reflex' as in reflective strips for bikes/cars? whats the dot part?

[size=xx-small][size=x-small]"I apply 2 reflex strips or a dot" [/size][/size]

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 13
it's a term Waulta made up, and it works just like JadeEast said. The larger the strip, the lower the frequencies it will affect, and the greater the effect it will have. Also, if you put it behind the felt, it won't effect the frequencies that are absorbed by the felt, as they're, erm, absorbed instead of reflected.

psst, should that be "affect" or "effect". I always forget which one's the noun, and which is the verb.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 13
I suggest starting your experiments with drivers from cheap headphones. And something like the px100 can be easily disassembled without damaging anything.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 13
I think that something as rugged as the SFI drivers would be better, as there is almost no way you can F* them up. You can use them poorly, but the odds of you damaging them are less than that monkey-Shakespeare thing, but with it using only its tongue.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

psst, should that be "affect" or "effect". I always forget which one's the noun, and which is the verb.

<Grammar Police>

"Affect" is the verb, "effect" is the noun.

Carry on.

<Grammar Police, over and out>

But seriously, I'll be interested to see how your project turns out.  I've built speakers in the past, but I've always wanted to try to make a pair of headphones.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

<Grammar Police>

"Affect" is the verb, "effect" is the noun.

Carry on.

<Grammar Police, over and out>

Wow we have a teacher here. 
biggrin.gif
 Thats good!

Regarding the project, im also interested on knowing more. I have a set of old cans and i want to make some major changes also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back