Building my first DIY-headphoneamplifier, need help!
Sep 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. I'm looking for a complete description and priceguide for a decent/good amp to match a pair of either (haven't decided on which headphones to buy yet, actually. But I am trying to choose from a few pairs) Grado SR-125/225, or Alessandro ones (not sure what the difference is? but I was thinking of modding the Grado's if I get them with that woody-mod)

But well, should go well with one of those... not sure if the amp would have to match either one on it's own or if it could do well with all of them.

I'd preferably not like to spend more than 300$ and would really appreciate help today since I am going to have it as a school project and need to finish the project description today
tongue.gif
, I have written most of it but I haven't decided on WHAT amp to build...
confused.gif

so uhm, throw your suggestions here please.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Waiting until the last day to start? This is typical engineer behavior. I know. I'm an engineer.

If this is your first amp I can recommend the Millet Starving Student Hybrid Headphone Amp. Cost is less than $70 and the build is fairly easy. Took me about 7 hours to build including machining the aluminum chassis. Sound is much better than would be expected from $70 worth of parts.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Haha well, I actually got to know about it yesterday since I've been sick and home from school for about two weeks. :p

I was actually looking and that one, or, rather at the kits which were for sale but no longer are. I guess I can put a kit together myself though.

7 hours is fast... this project is supposed to be over a couple of months, and it'd be more fun to do something more advanced as a project for school. (for better grades too of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Do you happen to know any other good amps or maybe even a DAC to go with it?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I second the Starving Student Millett Hybrid. Tubes are always good to make a great impression in class, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're wanting to maximize that budget with something more refined and almost optimum for Grado's, check out the Millett Hybrid MAX. The MAX is a bit more difficult, however, and we normally recommend it as a 2nd build, not 1st. Some people have had little difficulty building one the first time out, but YMMV.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Well I do have some friends and even my moms boyfriend who does this on a daily basis who could back me up if something gets too tricky.

Anyway, I might do both just to get a feeling of how hard it could be. But if I think doing the Starving Student one is a bit hard I might just stick with it and hope the teachers are nice.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

7 hours is fast... this project is supposed to be over a couple of months, and it'd be more fun to do something more advanced as a project for school. (for better grades too of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Do you happen to know any other good amps or maybe even a DAC to go with it?

Thanks!

7 hours but I have a drill press, have been soldering for over 30 years and have built many, many point to point projects over the years.

Regarding a dac, I'm getting ready to build a usb to I2S converter from scratch. and already built a DAC to go with it. Check out the following links for some examples and google schmartboards for a very easy way to get those smt devices soldered. There's others. just google pcm2706, pcm2707, or just read the texas instruments literature for some circuit examples.

http://www.audioworkshop.com.hk/download/AW_D3.pdf
PCM2706 High Fidelity USB Soundcard / USB Headphones

Good Luck,

Kuroguy

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 8
here's another one:

USB audio DAC

By the way, build that USB DAC point to point and just bolt the circuit board to a nice slab of wood and you'll be guaranteed an 'A'

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 8
hey there, I got the description made in time.

wrote that I'm going to make a tube headphone amplifier, and that I'm going to try to make the small one first and if I thought it was a bit simple I'd move on to a more advanced one.

That USB DAC looks tempting to build too.. might build it even if I don't do it for my grades. :p

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back