Building my first CMoy, some questions.
Feb 20, 2005 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spitzfiya

Head-Fier
I am very very new to all forms of Audio Hardware and Audio Terms, I never used an AMP before and I really haven't grasped any understanding of them. I have a bit of soldering experience and alot of tools (I mod computers as a hobby). When I first came to Head-Fi and learned that high end headphones usually needed AMPs I was like
eek.gif
confused.gif

I own a pair of HD 497s and I would love to hear how they sound with an AMP coming from my AV710 or my Portable setup.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it really worth it?

2. Is the change in sound quality mind blowing, Will I be surprised/happy?

3. Can I get all my parts from Radio Shack? (I don't have a credit card, and my parents wont order anything online for me, I have to get everything locally)

4. I need a "How to build a CMoy" guide that is VERY newb friendly, step by step, and not to in depth. Can you direct me to one?

5. How much would this cost in Canadian $

6. What specific kind of changes in audio quality did you notice after building your first CMoy?

7. How long did it take you?

Thanks alot, I would really appreciate some help, I plan on starting it this week because i have alot of free time.
lambda.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 6

yes, u kind of answered ur own question

"I would love to hear how they sound with an AMP coming from my AV710 or my Portable setup."

maybe not mind blowing, but there is a differnce, i havent got a decent pare of headphones. i used my iriver buds, and the differnce very noticable, and the differnce was very postive. It made my brothers 202's sound alot better.

3. Can I get all my parts from Radio Shack? (I don't have a credit card, and my parents wont order anything online for me, I have to get everything locally)

everything but a decent opamp. although, you might be able to get some samples from TI, which are free, and no credit card is required.

here is the site http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/opa2132.html and request 2 OPA2132PA's ** dont abuse the system ** . i say two, because its always good to have a spare incase something happens

4. I need a "How to build a CMoy" guide that is VERY newb friendly, step by step, and not to in depth. Can you direct me to one?

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/

and then go to "How to Build the CMoy Pocket Headphone Amplifier"

5. How much would this cost in Canadian $?

not sure, i live in australia. but if ur buying the parts from radio shack, then no more then $20.

6. What specific kind of changes in audio quality did you notice after building your first CMoy?

see answer to question 2.

7. How long did it take you?

few hours

hope that helps

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Instead of going to radio shack to buy the parts you can go to a local Electronic Component dealer. Your location is not listed so I cannot tell you were one is near you but you can use Google's LOCAL search and find one there.
Or you can order everything off of Digi-Key and pay by cheques (I've done that a few times). Just put down (Contact Me in the payment method) and then in the comments section write (Paying by cheque, contacting me is not necessary) and just write down the final amount and print out the order form (Both of these invoices will appear after you submit your order) and then just send out your invoice + cheque + small write up of you info, to their american headquarters.

I hope this helped

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 6
before you start, read tangents site several times aswell as any articals that go with what your doing. knowlage is your friend. i would also suggest using your Ohm meter and testing your amp after EVERY step... otherwise you'll end up like so many others
eek.gif

overall its a fun project, dont let my little rant scare you
tongue.gif

best of luck

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya

As a hobby yes, as a way to improve sound quality, maybe. Depends on how far you're willing to go for that last 2%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya

The change in quality is not mind blowing, it goes from barely noticable in a cMoy, to a small but noticable improvement in a mint through PPA level.

The changes noticed are usually: Sharper Percussion, Stronger Bass, and a more dynamic sound.

The change in volume is certainly mind blowing. A cMoy can make your ears bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back