Building my dorm room setup
Jul 11, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Well for my drom I don't plan on using headphones all the time. So currently I have my old JVC Vr-5505 hooked up to my computer with 4 random speakers that I don't really know how I acquired. It sounds decent but I've been wondering about replacing them (2 of them are rather large so bookshelf ones would be nice). Any recommendations for something good but like really cheap (college budget don't forget). Also would I have any reason to want to upgrade my receiver? When it comes to stereos I'm very much in the dark.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't know if you've looked into these, but as a fellow college student (Soph @ UNC Asheville) I made what I think was a great investement last summer. Klipsch (i think that's how you spell it) makes a GREAT 2.1 system that has THX built in. I'm running them off an audigy 2 card from my laptop and it sounds amazing. What I've even done a couple times is since I'm an honors student there, I have free access to a special study lounge which has a bunch of sofas and a great projector. On several occasions I've brought my speakers over to that room with friends and hooked them up to the computer and watched a movie on approx 80 inches of wall space and the speakers fill up the entire room, acutally to the point that I have to turn down the sub because It's too overpowering. The best part is that since the sound card I bought for my laptop is THX certified, I can get THX quality sound right in my dorm room (much to the aggravation of my hall mates
smily_headphones1.gif
) These will prolly cost you $150 if you buy from best buy, but I'm sure you could get them for cheaper on ebay or something. And if you're looking for more than a 2.1 setup I'm sure the same company makes other surround systems. Hope this helps man.
-Ryan

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Probably the best bang for your buck is going to be older, used gear. Search these threads, maybe audioholics or something like that too. Ebay can be a great place to find bargains, but here are two that most people don't look at as frequently: garage sales/flea markets and bulletin boards.

I found a pair of Sennheiser HD 540s at a flea market here in Germany, and I paid about $20 US for them. I probably could've paid $12 or so (10 Euro) but I felt badly; I guess I'm not the best at flea markets. But a lot of turntables, receivers, speakers, etc. *may* be good. Read around and shop around, and you'll learn how to avoid crappy products. I'll check my bookmarks later and PM you some info.

Also, college students come and go all the time. Check bulletin boards in dorms, near doorways of major buildings on campus (student union, etc.), and in similar places. A lot of times, college students who either need money for beer and bread or are moving and don't have any storage space will get rid of pretty good gear for dirt-cheap prices. I've seen a decent pair of Logitec speakers for $20, and these prices are negotiable too.

The more you look, the more people you ask, the better your chances of putting together a nice system for very little money. Keep in mind, too, that at garage sales, for instance, people with more money are more likely to have bought good gear and have no idea how much it's worth. One garage sale I went to had some nice Paradigms laying around for a good price; the owner thought they were a nice brand but never used them. Good luck, and enjoy the music!

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 6
They have their fans, and they have their detractors, but the Sonic Impact T-Amps and the Best Buy Insignia speakers seems to be carrying the attention of those seeking budget gear. If you do take the plunge, at least your damage is under $100.

Jul 13, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 6
What is your ballpark budget? This is probably outside it (I have an addiction), but I had B&W CM2s and a NAD 712 in my dorm room with a Yamaha CD player,a Yamaha DAC, and a JBL powered subwoofer. It kicked ass in that room. You could pick up similar equipment used for pretty cheap. Audiogon is your friend if you are trying to get the best bang for your buck.

Just make sure you don't put the speakers where someone will stumble into them or mistake them for a urinal at 4:30 am.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 6
I would suggest a pair of B&W DM 303's and the ASW 300 sub. They are both little, but they sound great and are very efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back