Building first desktop stack, what's next?
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hxs80

New Head-Fier
I'm building my first headphone desktop stack and I'm wondering where to go next. I currently have the Grado SR 125e and the HD 6xx and I'm running them off a Schiit Magni 3. So far so good. My music source is exclusively Tidal (Hifi/Master) on a 2012 MacBook Pro. I've been reading and watching reviews about DACs for about 3 months and it seems like the Schiit Modi Multibit should be my DAC of choice. I'm also intrigued by the Schiit Loki but I'm not sure if getting an EQ and fiddling with knobs for each headphone is really the way to go. I personally like EQs and will probably get the Loki in the future anyways but, for now, what I am looking for is the best audio quality upgrade for the money. Maybe neither is a good choice or overkill given my current setup? I also tried searching "better than the Modi Multibit" but I couldn't find anything useful. I'm trying to stay around $300 or less for a DAC. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Modi Multibit is quite easily endgame for you with those headphones. It's an amazing dac according to many and I think you'd love it.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 11
For under $300 I don't think any DAC would beat the Modi Multibit. It outperformed a few DACs I owned that were two or more times the price.

As for EQ, I'd recommend parametric equalizer software, which is free, gives you full control, and has none of the downsides of hardware.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 11
As for EQ, I'd recommend parametric equalizer software, which is free, gives you full control, and has none of the downsides of hardware.

+1 to this. You can also save the presets for each headphone this way. The only reason I would buy the Loki is if you wanted a simple to use EQ. Good software based EQ also isn't limited like the Loki is, the Loki only has 4 band of EQ so you can make more precise changes in the frequencies with software. However, there is a bit of a learning curve when using digital EQ.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 11
I haven't given Mimby a try yet, but if my experience with Bimby is any indication, the Modi Multibit would be a great investment.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 11
For under $300 I don't think any DAC would beat the Modi Multibit. It outperformed a few DACs I owned that were two or more times the price.

Thanks! Yes, that does sound like a good idea. I thought about this before, I just figured it would be easier to turn knobs as opposed to going to the laptop. I'll start looking around for recommended EQ software for MACs.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 11
+1 to this. You can also save the presets for each headphone this way. The only reason I would buy the Loki is if you wanted a simple to use EQ. Good software based EQ also isn't limited like the Loki is, the Loki only has 4 band of EQ so you can make more precise changes in the frequencies with software. However, there is a bit of a learning curve when using digital EQ.

Right on. Yes, I realized the band limits on the EQ but the ease of use would be nice. As for the learning, I think that's part of the journey so I don't mind. I've been going through some exercises on Harman's "How To Listen" so perhaps, this would be a good experience down the road. I'm going to pull the trigger on the Mimby and listen to my gear without EQ until I get a better grasp of what I have before going to town on the audio coloring. Thanks for the reply.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Schiit is one of the few offerings that can go that cheap. I would think the Loki is unnecessary given parametric offerings of eq if you care. If price locks you in so be it but look to a variety of makers each has their competence.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Just to give some closure. I do like the HD6xx Magni 3 Modi multibit setup. I think it's a great semi budget conscious starter kit for a variety of music. I haven't thought of EQing AT ALL since I got the mimby. I haven't had to. Now when I listen, if I hear a frequency discrepancy, I just let it be. One, I can't fix a crappy recording. Two, it sort of trains/familiarizes my ears to this particular setup. When I upgrade, I'll be able to upgrade one thing at a time and determine if it's positive or not. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back