Building Block Of Life Found On Comet
Aug 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
Link: Building block of life found on comet | Science | Reuters

Text: LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The amino acid glycine, a fundamental building block of proteins, has been found in a comet for the first time, bolstering the theory that raw ingredients of life arrived on Earth from outer space, scientists said on Monday.

Microscopic traces of glycine were discovered in a sample of particles retrieved from the tail of comet Wild 2 by the NASA spacecraft Stardust deep in the solar system some 242 million miles (390 million km) from Earth, in January 2004.

Samples of gas and dust collected on a small dish lined with a super-fluffy material called aerogel were returned to Earth two years later in a canister that detached from the spacecraft and landed by parachute in the Utah desert.

Comets like Wild 2, named for astronomer Paul Wild (pronounced Vild), are believed to contain well-preserved grains of material dating from the dawn of the solar system billions of years ago, and thus clues to the formation of the sun and planets.

The initial detection of glycine, the most common of 20 amino acids in proteins on Earth, was reported last year, but it took time for scientists to confirm that the compound in question was extraterrestrial in origin.

"We couldn't be sure it wasn't from the manufacturing or the handling of the spacecraft," said astrobiologist Jamie Elsila of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, the principal author of the latest research.

She presented the findings, accepted for publication in the journal Meteoritics and Planetary Science, to a meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington, D.C., this week.

"We've seen amino acids in meteorites before, but this is the first time it's been detected in a comet," she said.

Chains of amino acids are strung together to form protein molecules in everything from hair to the enzymes that regulate chemical reactions inside living organisms. But scientists have long puzzled over whether these complex organic compounds originated on Earth or in space.

The latest findings add credence to the notion that extraterrestrial objects such as meteorites and comets may have seeded ancient Earth, and other planets, with the raw materials of life that formed elsewhere in the cosmos.

"The discovery of glycine in a comet supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common rather than rare," said Carl Pilcher, the director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute in California, which co-funded the research.

Glycine and other amino acids have been found in a number of meteorites before, most notably one that landed near the town of Murchison, Australia in 1969, Elsila said.

Very interesting to say the least.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The discovery of glycine in a comet supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common rather than rare," said Carl Pilcher, the director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute in California, which co-funded the research.

Hmm indeed very interesting, the chance that this comet landed on our earth with the building blocks of life should tell us all something about where we came from and the enormous chance of life existing elsewhere in our vast universe.

Did you see the Hubble deep field image when pointed at a blank portion of the sky?

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 61
Yeah that is interesting to find glycine on a comet and in 1969 on meteorites. If I remember right, glycine is one of the simplest amino acids with just a single hydrogen for the R group.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see the Hubble deep field image when pointed at a blank portion of the sky?

Yes, I remember seeing a large photo of that. Every time I think about the vastness of the universe, I think of how insignificant we are and how there has to be intelligent life elsewhere.

These kinds of discoveries are another piece of the puzzle of how we got here and what the contents of our universe really are. Fascinating stuff...

Edit: Here is an interesting video about deep field: http://www.neatorama.com/2009/08/13/...p-field-in-3d/

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Yeah I think about that a lot, I don't dwell on it, you could send yourself crazy, but it fascinates me above anything else.

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D

HA!!! We linked to the same video
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Hmm indeed very interesting, the chance that this comet landed on our earth with the building blocks of life should tell us all something about where we came from . . . .

That's certainly one point of view. The other is that it tells us absolutely nothing except about our capacity to delude ourselves regarding the obvious. Indeed, there can be quite a few points of view on this, which is why it's a potentially "dangerous" subject.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's certainly one point of view. The other is that it tells us absolutely nothing except about our capacity to delude ourselves regarding the obvious. Indeed, there can be quite a few points of view on this, which is why it's a potentially "dangerous" subject.

It tells us everything; perhaps there a few groups of people in this world that don't want to believe it, the delusion is theres. Science has been held up for too long with shall we say 'superstition' that we have been held back in discovering our universe and where we came from. I personally can't wait to see what comes of the LHC at CERN, $4 billion well spent in the name of science.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Could you clarify this? Are you talking about another scientific viewpoint or that "other" (lockable) viewpoint?

Either way, it is an interesting subject and one that should not be sullied by emotion and "opposing viewpoints". <--- This is more of a preemptive thought rather than any reference to you, PhilS.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

It tells us everything; perhaps there a few groups of people in this world that don't want to believe it, the delusion is theres. Science has been held up for too long with shall we say 'superstition' that we have been held back in discovering our universe and where we came from. I personally can't wait to see what comes of the LHC at CERN, $4 billion well spent in the name of science.

some would say that even the very fabric of our "technological discoveries" are all "fake"

eg. scientists telling us that they discovered things like neutrons and protons and such... all lies to make us believe that we are going away from religion--when in fact, us believing in this "science" is actually another religion in itself!

wait, what am i talking about again? lol

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

It tells us everything; perhaps there a few groups of people in this world that don't want to believe it, the delusion is theres. Science has been held up for too long with shall we say 'superstition' that we have been held back in discovering our universe and where we came from.

The only delusion some are laboring under has arisen because science has been unable to explain in convincing fashion the origins of life on earth, so scientists have fantasized that life must have come from other planets, possibly even transported by aliens? Yeah, the delusion is there alright.
darthsmile.gif

Like I said, it's a dangerous subject, at least in terms of the forum rules.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you clarify this? Are you talking about another scientific viewpoint or that "other" (lockable) viewpoint?

Either way, it is an interesting subject and one that should not be sullied by emotion and "opposing viewpoints". <--- This is more of a preemptive thought rather than any reference to you, PhilS.

I am probably talking about a lockable viewpoint, and therefore, I'll try to restrain myself. The problem with certain viewpoints being locked is that people can say things like (paraphrasing), "they've discovered amino acids on a comet and that tells us a lot about where we came from," and yet you can't really have an open discussion about it with all points of view being aired without running afoul of forum rules.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

I am probably talking about a lockable viewpoint, and therefore, I'll try to restrain myself. The problem with certain viewpoints being locked is that people can say things like (paraphrasing), "they've discovered amino acids on a comet and that tells us a lot about where we came from," and yet you can't really have an open discussion about it with all points of view being aired without running afoul of forum rules.

I am not going to argue with that point, as I very much agree with you. If people can debate with logic and/or civility, some very interesting and thought provoking discussions can be had; however, once emotion and defensiveness come into play, everything hits the fan. Neither side will likely budge, but it is fascinating nevertheless.

I will offer one interesting observation though: For a long time, headfi was a place of "religious" audio discussion and not one of scientific while being a place of scientific members lounge discussion and not one of religious. Before that, religious general discussion was permitted while scientific audio discussion was not. Only recently has scientific audio discussion been able to take place.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 61
One of the jobs of science is to provide predictions (which should be later proven). it's a key part of the scientific method and one of the ways quantum theory became so strong.
Also - there is no ambiguity over evolution in the scientific world, there is only ambiguity in the Fox news world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back