Building an amp for the HD-590's
Apr 9, 2002 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

se7enty7

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am currently driving my senn HD-590's off of my sound card (sb audigy). They sound much better when powered off of my Denon reciever.

I want to build/buy an amp that would be ideal for having a sound card as a source. I am looking for cheapest way without sacrificing TOO much sound......

As far as building it, I believe I would be able to. I have build LCD displays and the like, I wouldn't think it would be too much more difficult.

Thanks

se7

Apr 10, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 7
That looks great.... However, it doesn't HAVE to be portable. I plan on enclosing it in a medium sized aluminum project case I have. ( 6x8 inches, depth of maybe 3 inches) and can/should be run off of a wallwart....

Also, where do I find stuff like a Burr-Brown opamp?

Thanks

se7

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 7
and just because it shows a battery power supply is no reason to discount the design.It is a very serious headphone amp for the money , you could do WAY worse , and you could build a bipolar 15 volt supply for it as with any other op-amp based project.
One thing about batteries though

DEAD SILENT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 11, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I wouldn't have much trouble building it, my problem is obtaining the parts. I do not have a credit card, and therefore have no means of purchasing many things online. However, I can send a postal money order, which you can cash at any US post office. Is there some sort of 'kit' that someone sells that I can buy? Something that has all of the stuff in it except like maybe the enclusure and pcb or something?

Thanks,
se7

Apr 13, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 7
First you might consider contacting JMT for the Hansen pc board (if still available) which comes with a parts list and schematic.
As for the parts , you could build a reasonable amp with radio shack parts except for the op-amp which must be ordered by mail.
Most mail order parts suppliers will also accept money orders for payment and usually have a printable order form

Users who are viewing this thread

Back