Building a Vinyl Rig... quickly need some pointers or tips...
Sep 27, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking at 3 turntables....

1. VPI Scout
2. VPI Scoutmaster
3. VPI Super Scoutmaster

I was thinking that I want this to last me a long time, something I wouldn't need to upgrade too much. I decided that I was going to bite the bullet and eliminate the Scout from the running... so now I'm stuck between 2 tables.

The Super Scoutmaster has all the bells and whistles, but from those who have heard it.. is it worth it over the Scoutmaster?

I need to know because I am in the middle of striking a deal on audiogon between these two tables.

Obligatory pics since we're all pic whores....
Scoutmaster
vpiscoutmaster2.jpg

Super Scoutmaster
VPI_Super_big.jpg

Thanks...

Joey

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Go for the Super Scoutmaster. The double motor/flywheel setup does spin the turntable at a more constant speed and therefore gives better sound. Make sure that the system comes with the SDS power supply/speed controler. This is a MUST for that table.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 14
The price difference between the two is about $1700.... that's a lot of scratch.

Scoutmaster = $2500 WITH Dynavector 20H
Super Scoutmaster = $3500 WITHOUT cartridge.... it would be like $4200 WITH Dynavector 20H!!

Not only that, but the Scoutmaster is used, but through an authorized dealer. He's willing to give me warranty for 3 years.

The Super Scoutmaster is from a good seller on audiogon, but not a dealer. No warranty.

Anyway, what do you think?

$1700 + loss of 3 year warranty? Worth it still?

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the Super Scoutmaster. The double motor/flywheel setup does spin the turntable at a more constant speed and therefore gives better sound. Make sure that the system comes with the SDS power supply/speed controler. This is a MUST for that table.

It comes with the SDS controller... god that's beautiful!

Scoutmaster $2000 or $2500 with brand new Dynavector 20H cartridge installed by dealer, all with warranty:
Double plinth
Larger platter than regular Scout
JMW-9 regular arm
300 rpm motor
HRX Steel clamp

Super Scoutmaster $6000 new, but $3500 used on audiogon, no cartridge, no warranty.... with Dynavector 20H installed locally, it would be about $4200 total:
Double plinth
Larger and improved black platter over the Scoutmaster's
JMW-9 Signature arm (Valhalla wired and extra weight and mechanical antiskate)
Peripheral Ring clamp ($600 if bought as extra for Scoutmaster)
Dual motor WITH flywheel assembly (can't buy as upgrade extra for Scoutmaster)
SDS controller ($1000 if bought as extra for Scoutmaster)
HRX Steel clamp II

Goodness I'm soo confused.... should I splurge and kill the wallet? Or should I be more sensible and get the Scoutmaster (which is already better than the Scout I had originally planned on getting) from a reputable dealer WITH warranty??

Dang....

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Just to give an idea.... this is the Scout:
DSCF1453.JPG

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 14
As one who has upgraded from the Scoutmaster to the Superscoutmaster....GO FOR THE SUPERSCOUTMASTER!! Better bass, more focused soundstage, a table you can build on for life. I am using the Dynavector XX-2MKII cartridge and it is AWESOME. I have also used the 17D2MKII, and 17D3 cartridges on this table. All good. Get the Sig arm if you can. Better detail.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Tom,

Even if the Super Scoutmaster is $4200 with the Dynavector 20H? Without warranty and being 2 years old...?

The Scoutmaster seems reasonable at $2500 with the Dynavector 20H installed/aligned by the dealer and with 3 year warranty...

What to do... what to do....

I thought I was already doing myself a favor with the Scoutmaster over the Scout.... now this....

frown.gif

Help... me.....

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 14
That seems a little high for the used SSM. There is one on Audiogon with signature arm for 3350.00, 11 months old without cartridge. you could buy the cartridge and have someone set it up for you and still be under 4200.00. Both tables are very nice. But the motor and SDS are big upgrades over the motor on the scoutmaster.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom,

Even if the Super Scoutmaster is $4200 with the Dynavector 20H? Without warranty and being 2 years old...?

I shouldn't worry too much about waranties. This isn't the latest digital gizmo with a shelf life of a few years, it's a pretty simple piece of high quality engineering which should last you a lifetime with minimum of servicing.

VPI are a reputable company who've been around for 20 years or more so should you have any problems they should support you fully.

The best advice anyone can give you if you want to spend this kind of money on your first turntable is go to a good dealer and listen to what you are actually getting for your money.

It may cost you a few dollars more but they will come and set it up for you in your home and calibrate it all properly. Exotic moving coils and unipivot arms can be a pretty steep learning curve for a beginner and a simple mistake with a screwdriver too near the cantilever will cost you hundreds of dollars. If you can afford to do it this way it's really the most sensible approach.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems a little high for the used SSM. There is one on Audiogon with signature arm for 3350.00, 11 months old without cartridge. you could buy the cartridge and have someone set it up for you and still be under 4200.00. Both tables are very nice. But the motor and SDS are big upgrades over the motor on the scoutmaster.

That's the guy I'm quoting, Tom...

$3500 shipped... it's not 11months old, it's actually almost 2 years old.

Another thing is the guy "can't" guarantee me that it's in 100% mint condition which makes me wonder...

I don't think I'll be picking up the SSM... the SM comes from a reputable dealer who will spend the better part of a day to setup the dynavector and give me full warranty and full customer support when I take delivery of the SM - which means he stays on the phone with me for 2 hours until I get the table set up.

I think I may be headed towards the SM and then upgrading the peripheral ring and the SDS someday.

Joey

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best advice anyone can give you if you want to spend this kind of money on your first turntable is go to a good dealer and listen to what you are actually getting for your money.

It may cost you a few dollars more but they will come and set it up for you in your home and calibrate it all properly. Exotic moving coils and unipivot arms can be a pretty steep learning curve for a beginner and a simple mistake with a screwdriver too near the cantilever will cost you hundreds of dollars. If you can afford to do it this way it's really the most sensible approach.

Good advice! Which is why I'm leaning more towards the dealer's Scoutmaster instead of the individual seller's Super Scoutmaster.

Besides, the SSM guy seems to be a little bit of a jerk. Last thing I need is a jerk.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 14
The above is all well and good but look at your medium -- vinyl records that may have been on the shelf for decades, i.e. warped. That is why I went with a Sota Star with a vacuum platter. Sucks the record flat which also reduces the LP-platter chatter, it's like your listening to a one-inch thick record. But Sota is not one of your options so never-mind.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The above is all well and good but look at your medium -- vinyl records that may have been on the shelf for decades, i.e. warped. That is why I went with a Sota Star with a vacuum platter. Sucks the record flat which also reduces the LP-platter chatter, it's like your listening to a one-inch thick record. But Sota is not one of your options so never-mind.

It was Luxman originally I think which came up with vacuum platter decks back in the day. The downside is you must keep the platter and records absolutely spotless as any particles that are trapped between the two when you apply the pump with be ground into your vinyl.

This is easier said than done as even if you vacuum clean your records everytime you play them on a VPI or Nitty Gritty machine and keep your house very clean there are always dust particles in the air. Unless you live in some sort of clean room. A cleaning machine is a very good investment if you plan to play much 2nd hand vinyl and of course this is where the bargains are so it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Warps are actually not all that common although stabilizing the record on the platter is certainly beneficial. There are other devices like Trio 's mass ring which has also been widely copied and of course clamps and weights of all descriptions. Make sure you don't put too much weight on top of the record though as it can damage the bearing. Check the recomended amount beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back