Building a Surround Sound System
Sep 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tridacnid

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and one of the things I would like to do is put in a surround sound system for movies. I'm thinking 5 speakers (no subwoofer. Read on for more details). I have a question or two that needs answering, and a couple recommendations that I'm looking for.

Question:
I can just take some speakers and stick them on an A/V reciever, right? So I don't have to buy a full set from say, Philips, or some other company?

What I need:
1) An A/V reciever that sounds good (this won't be my main listening setup, so don't go crazy), is easy to use, is preferably black. In the $400 range, but less is great. Or more is great too, if it's worth it.
2) A center speaker. I don't care what finish it is, but it has to be sized so it can fit on a TV stand, or under it, without a problem.
3) Rear speakers. These will probably hang on the wall, and can't be vary large. Think 4", maybe 5" cone at max.

What these will be paired with:
My Altec Model 15 speakers. This things are killer, and I figure I won't need a subwoofer, as each speaker has a 12" woofer on it.

Obviously, home theaters aren't my expertise, so ask questions about some details I may have left out.

Thanks,
Tri

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 3
The Onkyo TX-SR606 is a great receiver for under $400. It's good enough I use the previous model as my main home theater receiver.

Can't help you on the speakers. I buy those as a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back