Building a stethoscope
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fred_fred2004

Member of the Trade: Fred_fred2004 (Ebay Store)
Hi, a friend of ours is a medical student and has a slight hearing problem, I'm making an eletronic stethoscope to help them with their studies, the electronics is not a major problem, simple amp - low pass filter etc

I'm having trouble mounting the microphone in the stethoscope because of the noise conducted from the tube to the mic, I know its off topic but any ideas of how/where to mount the mic to minimise the background nise would be appreciated

cheers
FRED

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 4
Have a look at the version Litman has out there, it uses a noise canceling mic and works astonishingly well. I had had a similar idea a while ago but it was more out of curiosity than need and I then stumbled into someone using noise canceling version which took the wind out of my sails
smily_headphones1.gif
..dB

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the idea but we have cost constraints :)

I think I shal have to do away with the tube and build the mic insert directly into the diaphram holder so its an integral part so I'm searching fo the smallest electret insert I can find, I've ordered a 3mm but if I can get smaller it would be better

cheers
FRED

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Litmann and ThinkLabs both make excellent stethoscopes. With the latter one, you can even connect it to an iPod and record heart sounds.
Nevermind, I missed your post about not wanting to expend a lot of money. The thinkLabs can be had for <200.00 though..... less than the D4 Mamba!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back