Building a Quiet PC w/o too much DIY(Advice?)
Feb 26, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 22
Ah, the 7800 GT is what's in my current machine
smily_headphones1.gif
My next card will probably be a 8900 GTX or a 9800 series.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the 7800 GT is what's in my current machine
smily_headphones1.gif
My next card will probably be a 8900 GTX or a 9800 series.

My PC started out inaudible. Two years later and I can here a bit of fan noise from two or three of the fans in there. The PSU fan on my Seasonic PSU seems to be the one that is making the least noise. The loudest by far is the southbridge fan on my K8N.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 22
Go for seasonic for the PSU, it is dead silent and very efficient (it never gets hot). After you have this under control the only thing to worry about is how to avoid cooler fans on the MB and graphic cards. The are very good heat sinks for that purpose.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #19 of 22
Ha! I was thinking Seasonic. My friend raved about them a year ago so I wasn't sure if that advice was outdated by now.. Good to know. I'm told very stable and quiet. 600 W here I come.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 22
Don't forget about the harddrives. I recently tried to quiet down my PC by replacing some fans. Then I discovered that the harddrives made a lot of noise. Since they are spinning pretty fast they make a lot of vibrations. I'm not talking about the noise that comes from reading or writing.

I solved the problem with bicycle tyre. You can put the harddrives in the 5.25" slots and let them hang there with some pieces of bicycle tyre. It's a DIY solution, but I don't think it's very hard to do. Just make shure they get proper cooling.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #22 of 22
Yeah I saw in another thread something similar to the bicycle tire solution for harddrives, looks doable for even someone of my caliber ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back