Building a new portable rig, need suggestions please
Dec 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

speedingredline

100+ Head-Fier
I decided to upgrade my portable rig for christmas, but I have not been staying up to date on the lastest gear so I am turning to the head-fi community for equipment suggestions. I figured I would start with the DAP. To this point I have been using a DIYmod/5th gen video -> ALO LOD -> Rx Mk1 -> JH13Pros or most currently S:Flo2 -> JH13Pros.

I will be ordering a new cable for the jh13s from whiplash today.

I am also considering upgrading to JH16pros if I can find a good deal on a used set. 

I have considered at this point the following DAPs
Cowon J3
Hifiman 601 or 602

Colorfly c4 and hifiman 801 are out as options.

I would like to go ampless if possible but will use an amp if needed to get quality sound.

So let the path of suggestions/spending begin

Source -> Interconnect -> Amp -> IEM/Headphones
    ???  ->        ???       ->  ??? ->         JH13s 

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I have experience with many portable amps, and the best one so far for IEMs is Pico Slim.

My suggestion: iPod -> CLAS -> Pico Slim -> IEMs

If you want a less bulky solution, try iMod/WhipMod -> Pico Slim --> IEMs.

Frankly interconnects have the least effect on sound in a portable rig. Just get some silver DIY cable and be done with it. If money is not a problem, there are ALO, Whiplash and many other brands out there. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 4
I'll will wait for the upcoming Ibasso DX1000, sound promising.

DX100-->JH13

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I have experience with many portable amps, and the best one so far for IEMs is Pico Slim.

My suggestion: iPod -> CLAS -> Pico Slim -> IEMs

If you want a less bulky solution, try iMod/WhipMod -> Pico Slim --> IEMs.

Frankly interconnects have the least effect on sound in a portable rig. Just get some silver DIY cable and be done with it. If money is not a problem, there are ALO, Whiplash and many other brands out there. 

yeah less bulky is kind of a requirement. I considered the CLAS -> Rx Mk2 combo at one point but 3 devices stacked seems to bulky but I have not seem a CLAS up close and personal. I have a diymod that I have been using with Rockbox for the purpose of playing FLAC. I wanted to go ssd with my imod but couldnt get it to work with Rockbox. I might give it another go.

I have been looking at the slim to use with my ipod nano.

Quote:
I'll will wait for the upcoming Ibasso DX1000, sound promising.

DX100-->JH13

didnt want to wait that long. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back