Building a new DAC. Which one?
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GoldiLocks

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need some advice.  As stated in the title, I'm looking to build a DAC.  Having never owned one I'm a little unsure about what to expect from one.  This wouldn't be a problem if I were interested in buying a commercially available DAC (I'd just go with the best rated in my price range and be happy), but I'm loving the building process and have decided to go the DYI route.  I've read up on a lot of DACs but reading can only get you so far.  Not to mention that there are no head-to-head comparisons to be found of DYI projects, so I'm unsure about how the different DACs stack up to one another.

The parameters for this project are pretty basic.  I want to keep the parts under $100 (though I could be convinced to go higher), and get something that's fun to build/tweak.  Ideas?

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Apr 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Most people seem to go with the GrubDac http://www.diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDACoverview.php

Not too difficult to build and sounds lovely for the price. Also there's a lot of support for building it on headfi. Check out this thread for more details http://www.head-fi.org/t/445155/the-grubdac

+1 on the GrubDAC. It's mostly surface mount, but nothing too difficult to solder, as long as you have a decent iron. The instructions on the DIY forum are excellent. Sounds great, especially for the money. ($60 for the kit, +shipping.)

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks!  I hadn't come across the GrubDAC before; it seems to be exactly what I was looking for.  I really like the idea of the DAC being integrated into the cable like the Bantam does, and was hoping to find something similar.  The Grub fits the bill.  No worries about difficulty or tools, I've done several other projects, just never a DAC.

You guys with more experience on Head-fi are a lifesaver, you know that?

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Yep - beerguy0 has been around awhile.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 8
The help you can get here is amazing! No matter what you build there's someone to give expert-class advise in less than 24h.

I can also cast a vote for the GrubDAC. Mine was a hazzle to build, had to replace a few parts after misplacing them (lesson one, be careful with those small SMD parts) and with no luck at getting it working at the first startup (lesson two, patience is the key, it WILL work eventually, mine did, after smoke and smell)
deadhorse.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
The help you can get here is amazing! No matter what you build there's someone to give expert-class advise in less than 24h.

I can also cast a vote for the GrubDAC. Mine was a hazzle to build, had to replace a few parts after misplacing them (lesson one, be careful with those small SMD parts) and with no luck at getting it working at the first startup (lesson two, patience is the key, it WILL work eventually, mine did, after smoke and smell)
deadhorse.gif

The advice here (whether it be for headphones, amps, sources, or DYI) is first class.  This would be a terribly difficult hobby to get into without Nixon, beerguy0, and others.

"...after smoke and smell." 
blink.gif

I'll be sure to double check everything.  I can do without all that excitement.  Did you build yours from a kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back