Building a CMOY amp
Mar 3, 2006 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Oistrakh

Headphoneus Supremus
how hard is it to build a CMOY amp if I don't understand anything about electronic circuitry and I've never done anything like it before? How long does a "newbie" take to build a CMOY amp? Is building it complex and where can I get a soldering iron (In a store)?

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm hijacking this thread as I didn't want to start a new one. I am also completely green in the DIY field and was wondering if a Cmoy is capable of handling a headphone of 300+ impedance adequately. I assume with a 2X 9V setup (as per Chu Moy's original article), there ought to be plenty of juice, but I'd like to hear it from someone with direct experience. MY PA2V2 (2 rechargeable AAs) couldn't power the HD580 at semi-loud levels without significant bass distortion.

Also, the original Chu Moy article has a section (Figure A7) on setting up a circuit in which you can recharge your 9V batteries. Are rechargeable lithium batteries (like the one suggested for use in the hornet) acceptable for use in the Cmoy design? Would one rechargeable lithium be enough to power high impedance cans in Tangent's updated Cmoy design?

Going out today to look for a DMM & basic soldering tools... not yet sure if this will all be for naught as I know NOTHING about electronics, but hope to learn a thing or two by taking on this project. Tangent's site is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back