Build your own isolating headphones for $30.!! (pictures)
Dec 24, 2004 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
I got a set of those vic firth extreme isolation headphones from the local musicians friend i got em cheap (3 pair) because they all were missing the jell pads that is an important part of the isolation i found out after trying different pads. The pads themself leak, so anyway i found that a company called "peltor" builds ear muffs hearing protectors similar to the vic firth cans. I found some on e-bay "low profile" that use the same pads for $15. so i bought a few pair and replaced the pads on the vic firth. One problem is the vic firth sound like crap. The drivers are junk and they just have a thin sound really horrible. I bought 4 total but only have 3 vic firth cans so i have a complete set of ear muffs left. Today i decided to build my own and these things SMOKE! extreme isolation, good sound and a HELL OF A DEAL!

Take the peltor ear muffs and i used a cheap set of Koss KTXpro1, i got these from Beach audio for $15. they use the KSC titanium 60 ohm driver so its the porta pro, KSC35, 50, 55, 75 sound but just a head band version. The driver pops out with a little twist and pull, reall easy and reversable. Get a dremel with the small routing bit, pop the pads off the peltor cups, put a small slot in the cups like the koss have ***This is the part where you need to decide where you want the wires to hang*** sit the drivers foam pads and all into the cups ontop of the peltor isolation foam and snap the pads back on. Its that easy, they sound really good and are a little bit adjustable. The drives can be repositioned inside the peltor cups up or down or closer to your ear. This is where you can dial in a little more bass or take some out. The KSC drivers have nice bass to begin with so when you move em a little bit away from your ears the bass fades a little but its just right IMO.

These ear muffs cut 23DB of sound so you add the 23DB cut with a nice sounding driver for $30. you cant lose. The color is a bit funky but i think they have a few other colors in some different styles i just got the cheapest version they make.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 17
Looks clean. Nice diy job.

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 17
They sound really good, i figured that it would change the sound but i guess sitting them on the foam still lets them breathe. The bass is still there and they dont sound honky at all. You can angle them also for a little different sound.

attachment.php

Dec 25, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 17
Nice!!! I thought about doing that with some Audio technica cans I have laying around that dont sound too good, but isolate so-so. They isloate about as well as my V6. Theyre comfey and the cable is long enough to use at the office and move around with.

Thanks for that!!

Garrett

Dec 26, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
haha, a fun way to "get rid" of your old headphones. maybe ill do this for a present to my friend. ill tell him its... top of the line
orphsmile.gif

They wernt old! i just got them. The ear muffs i just got in that day and the koss cans i got a few weeks ago. I have so many i dont use em all, these sound good but i have others that sound better. These just seem to fit well into my idea. The little wire tip was already in place and the design of the koss headphones already use a similar design.

Whats cool is they just pop out of the koss frame so if you wanted to use these as portables you could, then over the holidays you were going on a flight or a bus ride you could pop them into the ear muffs and back again.

IMO these sound better then the HD280s and ill bet they isolate better.

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 17
another idea.
get a pair of vic firth isolation phone from musiciansfriens.com $19
a pair of KSC 75.
PUT KSC 75 on.
now put VIC on.
now you have a pair of extream isolation phone.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 17
try home depot's folding hearing protectors $15
with senn's they sound awesome, discount the fact that you cant bike with them on
or combine them with some wireless headphones for cutting the grass (or the rug)

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Im doing some driver swaps with my MDRV6s.

UR40 is my sacrificial lamb of choice since I can use the pads on the V6.

Garrett

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy me
try home depot's folding hearing protectors $15
with senn's they sound awesome, discount the fact that you cant bike with them on
or combine them with some wireless headphones for cutting the grass (or the rug)

wow great!!! now i think it's time for me to retair my MDRv700 (why the hell did i pay $129 for it?)
biggrin.gif

it would be dope to bring this set up to party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back