Build your own headphones
Jul 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't use speaker drivers as the driver for headphones unless it's a tweeter, there's a few threads on here of using electrostat tweeters as headphone drivers. being that close to your ear AND being enclosed, the low range is amplified majorly, so a full range would be a bit too bass heavy, I've thought of using a ring radiator tweeter for mine, but there's a lot of manufacturers that sell individual drivers for their headphones, or you can get a pair of Turbulent X drivers (the closest thing I've found to aftermarket parts for headphones in that regard, apparently a major upgrade from the original grado drivers they replace). While it is possible to build them completely your self, it's quite a long difficult journey. If it were me trying again, I'd start with wire coat hanger as a headband and just some wood turned on a lathe to make the cups, most other parts can be reused from other headphones, like the earpads and headband cushion, until you get a better idea of how it all fits together and improve your skills at building them.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 3
I'd recommend DIY electrostats. They are simple (though pretty hard to make I think) and can sound really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back