Build your first amp for your portable
May 26, 2004 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
FYI there's a project starting up over at ipodstudio.com for total newbs (like me) to build thier first amp, step by step. they are going to put together kits with everything we need, and make it easy enough for first timers to actually make it work. sounds like a good oppurtunity to learn a little bit about electronics while making something that's actually useful. the amp should be small enough to travel well with a DAP or PCDP. Check out the thread here:

http://ipodstudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=851

May 26, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 33
YES
wink.gif

We have something in the works for interested "beginner" DIYers. If everything goes as planned within the next couple of weeks we will be sending out full kits with tools, electronic components, wires, parts, testing gear, case etc. to the "student" along with a full set of instructions for reference.

The actual class will be online on a day to day basis (a little building everyday) and it will be conducted by a different DIYer everytime (for every different amp and skill level).

Those who want to join will have to sign up, look at the prices for the kits and send in the payment. The kits will be sent out after the payment is received.

In this case we are a bunch of dedicated HeadFiers and ipodstudio members trying to get more people into DIY with a smooth start...lets hope it works
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 33
He! He! Now I get to show everyone how many thumbs I really have..
icon10.gif
This should be a really fun project and the first time I've built anything electronic, so you'll all have to forgive my inane questions....
rolleyes.gif
We're doing this purely as a "group buy" project, BTW. In other words, those participating pay for the cost of the parts and the shipping to your location, but nothing else.
We also want to keep this low budget so the parts should not exceed $50, even though we're planning to build a decent little headphone amp here.

Anyways, more discussion on this here and hope to see you all in the project...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

He! He! Now I get to show everyone how many thumbs I really have..

beats the heck out of having NO thumbs

how would you hold a cup ?

or for that matter ,a soldering iron !

cool.gif

May 26, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 33
Man, thank you. I've been waiting for something like this for a while considering I can't read most of the schematics. I'm hoping it will give me a chance to build up my confidence and my skill. woohoo

May 27, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Man, thank you. I've been waiting for something like this for a while considering I can't read most of the schematics. I'm hoping it will give me a chance to build up my confidence and my skill. woohoo

Me too...
smily_headphones1.gif
I talk the talk, let's see if I can walk the walk...
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 33
unfortunately we need a committed participant before we can put the kit together. People need to send their money in for this to happen...its a HUGE task and the logistics is crazy. The only way to keep costs down is to do group purchases of all components, sort them out, bag them and ship them to each participant.

May 27, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
ipodstudio let me know when you guys have this kit done, i will be interested in buying one asap

No probs, but please sign up on the thread so we can keep track of everyone..
wink.gif

May 27, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
i already did

OK, great!! Just keep an eye on that thread as we'll be discussing the project there daily..
wink.gif

May 27, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 33
wouldn't we have to know something about circuitry and how to read schematic plans? oh well, i guess the pros will just have to hold our hand and step by step. Thanks by the way... I'm all for it!

May 28, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouzike
wouldn't we have to know something about circuitry and how to read schematic plans? oh well, i guess the pros will just have to hold our hand and step by step. Thanks by the way... I'm all for it!

Mouzike, all I know about electronics is from pilot school, and that's not a whole lot I can use to help me build an amp..
biggrin.gif
Nope, the schematics are right now being drawn up (this is Rick the ampmaster's own design) and everyone will receive a copy. We'll explain everything step by step as we go and you can ask questions directly in the thread. I've never soldered a thing before and don't even own a soldering iron, so...

Keep your eye on that thread for starting dates etc...

BTW, I think we're already over 20 participants...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back