Build quality of IE8 (failed QA?)
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

encrypted_trance

Head-Fier
I bought a pair of IE8s a couple of weeks ago from duty free in the UK and all is well functionally.

However, I am a little disappointed to say that one of the screws for the bass tuning probably failed a QA: the ridge of the screw is not centered (i.e. the bit the screw driver goes in to) and it doesn't turn as smoothly (it squeeks) as the other screw.

May be nit-picking, but when parting with over 200 pounds do expect a degree of build quality.

Also, I noticed that the jack that goes into the player has a load of embossed lines on the metal - i.e. it is not smooth - not sure if this is meant to be though.

The TF10 pros and Shure 310s were both pristine in this sense.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 8
My first pair of IE8 had distortion in the right channel with moderately high (but humanly listenable) volume level. It actually sounded like something was vibrating inside, probably they didn't apply enough glue to hold things together (just guessing, I don't know if any glue was used in the construction at all). Sent it back to Sennheiser on a Monday, and received a brand new pair in Friday morning of the same week! This second pair, which now has over 250 hours on it, works perfectly fine and sounds wonderful.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Why are the screws in the earlier models and pictures shown as sliver?

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are the screws in the earlier models and pictures shown as sliver?

That was a prototype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back