build ppa or wait for m3/ppa v.2?
Mar 12, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #16 of 28
I showed the PPA v2 and MMM board schematics to a friend to get his advice on which board he would recommend. He thought both designs were very good.

He was interested that the MMM channels are not balanced as the PPA are. What is the design concern in this type of amp?
confused.gif

Jay

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypetermen
He was interested that the MMM channels are not balanced as the PPA are. What is the design concern in this type of amp?
confused.gif

Can you elaborate on what he thought was unbalanced with the M³?

If he was referring to the fact that the opamp seems to drive the N-channel MOSFET directly whereas the P-channel is "below" the Vbe multiplier biasing circuitry, this is done to minimize the number of parts while accomplishing several functions. The opamp sources the current through the Vbe multiplier for adjustable MOSFET biasing, and this current is pulled by the cascoded JFET current source which also keeps the opamp operating in class A. The whole output buffer has only one BJT, two JFETs and two MOSFETs. In this amp it is a virtue, because performance is not compromised to achieve the simplicity.

During the early experimental phase of the M³ project, I built a prototype with a diamond buffer output topology virtually identical to that of the PPA v2, except that the output devices were MOSFETs rather than BJTs (and biased accordingly). However, I measured higher intermodulation distortion in that configuration than the simpler circuit that we now use.

Mar 14, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Can you elaborate on what he thought was unbalanced with the M³?

He stated that the FET's are not exact symmetric electrical components, to get the circuit exact one would need to adjust the "bias" for each individual device separately.

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypetermen
He stated that the FET's are not exact symmetric electrical components, to get the circuit exact one would need to adjust the "bias" for each individual device separately.

If he is referring to the MOSFETs, yes they are not perfectly complementary, but neither are NPN and PNP BJTs. As for needing separate bias adjustments for each side, he is not correct.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 28
He replied that; in differential mode (push pull) the 0 crossing needs to not have a gap. The bias of each is only method to control this. Maybe its not enough difference but driving the two gates with a single constant current source the bias is set for ?, I guess an average of the two parts. Do not forget the bias is very very important in controlling/adjusting for min distortion.
blink.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 28
There is no gap. Default bias is 80mA, plenty for Class A operation under all but the most extreme conditions. The output stage is a well understood complementary MOSFET pair similar to other amps such as the SDS Labs and Hafler DH-200 . We went through an extensive design phase with public review before releasing M³. Invite your friend to read the entire M³ Project Announcement thread, and come here to speak for himself if he is still inclined.

Aug 29, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #26 of 28
You can find a pretty decent review of a Millett Hybrid here , it's actually an amp that I built so I voiced my opinion in the thread. Ian also spent some time with it and put his thoughts in there as well.

There isn't a bad choice on your list that I can see. I don't like trying to figure out which amp is "better" as the only measuring device that I have is my ears, which I can guarantee are not the same as yours. I can listen to a Millett, M3, or PPA V2 for hours on end and be perfectly happy.

HTH,

Nate

Aug 29, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 28
Thanks again Nate! Yes, I agree that all are very good, with perhaps just bit different 'flavours'... though I cannot have all of them as you do
wink.gif

What about WNA amp? I didn't yet notice if you've already built it or not? If not, considering to build one? Maybe heard it?

On the side note, what's your opinion of NJM4556AL chip used as headphone amp? (Two days ago I've got Focusrite Saffire device, which uses that chip... Saffire sounds better and louder than Audigy2 Platinum to my ears... but I'll listen bit more before posting impressions on 'my' portable audio devices thread...)

Aug 29, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
Thanks again Nate! Yes, I agree that all are very good, with perhaps just bit different 'flavours'... though I cannot have all of them as you do
wink.gif

Do yourself a favor and don't! Waaaaaay too much $$.

Quote:

What about WNA amp? I didn't yet notice if you've already built it or not? If not, considering to build one? Maybe heard it?

Haven't built it and don't think I will as I'm quickly coming to the end of my crazy amp building days. I've got a couple ideas on some of Peter Millett's other designs (like the HA-1 you referenced) but I've found that while I enjoy building amps I really enjoy listening to them more.

Quote:

On the side note, what's your opinion of NJM4556AL chip

Can't say I have one. Haven't heard one and I'm not familiar with that chip. It's certainly an interesting bit of kit you've got there, perhaps you should let us know what you think of (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back