Build my own PPA?
Jan 20, 2004 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

srwatters

Head-Fier
So maybe I'm cheap. Maybe I'm just a geek. Maybe I'm crazy.

How many others have built their own PPA amps? I have access to an excellent lab at work as well as some great techs who would help me do the 'hard' stuff. Is it worth the experience and will I come out with a great amp? Should I just scrap the whole idea and buy one from JMT, HeadSave or another fine builder? Speak up and be proud if you've done your own.

TIA

Jan 20, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Is a very nice amp, now with the dimond buffers that are comming even better, they are supposed to beat the legendary 2009, and you will save some money if you have access to that lab, just one remark, use a decent PSU for it. I know that Tangent is working on a nice one, give him a call to see if he had any board available for it, anyway he is the supplier of the PPA boards anyway...

Jan 20, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 15
I think is Dimond buffers, are the discrete buffers board that Phil (PPL) is working on for his amps, it is supposed to sound better or at least similar to the 2009, is an small board that attaches on the same sockets of the regular buffers, more info is comming here

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 15
it's not a good first project if thats what you're looking for, it's too complicated and hard to troubleshoot if things go wrong with it. If you can get someone in the lab to build it, it would be fine but i think it would be a struggle to build as a first attempt!

g

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 15
After careful consideration of the task at hand.... I'm just going to buy one from a builder. I have no ambition to become a DIY hobbiest, and after reading the detailed assembly instructions and parts choosing guide on Tangent's site, it's not for me. I'd rather spend the hours making the $ rather than tinkering around with a soldering pencil.

I'm really curious about the new discreet buffers. So the PPA from LaRocco looks VERY tempting. Anyone else heard these new buffers yet?

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 15
There is no need of the 2009 anymore, these will outperform them, run cooler, and they are a lot cheaper....just wait for more info pretty soon....

Jan 20, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
There is no need of the 2009 anymore, these will outperform them, run cooler, and they are a lot cheaper....just wait for more info pretty soon....

I'm with you, Sovkiller!

If ppl designed it, and says it's as good or better than the el2009, I'd wait, too.

Jan 20, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 15
xtreme4099 has just listen ot them, and he want it installed, as you may know he has the 2009 already so no kidding, it is the real thing....

Jan 21, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 15
I believe they are ready. I sent in a quote request and was told they are now going to start shipping their PPA's with the new buffers. That also helped to push me in that direction.

Now where is that MasterCard? :)

Jan 21, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 15
AFAIK they are not, those around are just prototypes....soon fellows, soon...

Jan 21, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 15
This is the email I received from Larry (I removed the prices):

Scott,

The LaRocco PPA is a great choice. As of yesterday we have completely replaced all 12 IC buffers in our amplifiers with the new discreet diamond buffer output designed by Phil LaRocco. These new buffers will make your HD600's sing like you never heard before. I know because I use the 600's in my primary rig as well.

The minimal LaRocco PPA is ???.US + shipping
All premium parts as shown on the Deluxe model can be requested as upgrades.

The Deluxe LaRocco PPA is ???.US + shipping
This includes the fallowing premium components:
Pure Silver Wire interconnects
Cardas Silver Rhodium RCA's
Black Gate Caps

Both models of this amplifier include the new Ultra Linear Discreet Diamond Buffers and are housed in my completely hand crafted chassis as seen on the web site. As always, I offer chassis customization to make your LaRocco truly a one of a kind. There is a minimum two week lead time for all of my amplifiers. Full payment must be received and verified through Paypal before construction will start.

Thank You,
Larry Milligan

Jan 21, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back