Build Morgan Jones or buy MG Head?
Mar 25, 2002 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nick danger

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not a complete newbie, I have one CHA47 under my belt and have purchased a few parts to build a Morgan Jones amp.

For the last couple of days, I've been auditioning my CHA47 vs a Grado RA-1 and a MG Head non-OTL. There is something to like about each of the three, but for my listening preferences, jazz and blues, it's the MG Head that matches best with my Senn 580s.

I'd like to know if anyone here has compared the MG Head with the Morgan Jones. I can certainly buy some quality parts for building the MJ but I'd rather have the best matched amp/ headphones for my tastes in music.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Mighty Mik,

I have some Sylvania 6DJ8's and am toying with the idea of building this amp. I'll probably have some questions with the power requirements associated with different tubes, etc. I'm nowhere near understanding the ins and outs of managing voltages.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Mar 29, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 4
The design is going thru a revision, and i still need a drill press and a unibit before i start building. However, if anything, you'll have less power problems than I will, the 6N1P heaters eat 600mA EACH.

The Hammond 269AX should have plenty of oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back