Build me a Dell computer, please
Mar 26, 2007 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jeffro

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running a 1.6 ghz Pentium 4 with 256mb of ram. I have decided it is time to upgrade.

If anyone is willing to help me pick out a new computer I would be forever grateful. Here are my requirements:

- PC (I always buy from Dell, I already have an account there, and I am not switching to a Mac due to a large investment in Windows software)
- Desktop (mini tower)
- XP of Vista (you tell me, I have Adobe software that I need to be compatible)
- $1,000
- Must include a flat screen monitor 17" or bigger
- cd burner (no DVD burner is necessary)
- needs to be able to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- the more storage the better (FLAC files, of course!)

Thanks for your help. I am not up to speed with current processors and memory requirements.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 31
What do you plan on using the computer for? You may not necessarily need a new setup, just some upgrades (ram, HDD, vid card, etc). What model is your current make?

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 31
build your own computer

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 31
My current computer is a Dimension 8200. I bought it the one week when Dell decided to install Rambus memory in their computers. Upgrading the memory is pretty expensive.

I will be using the computer to edit photos, create a few graphics using Illustrator, playing audio files to my Squeezebox, and the typical web surfing. I am not a gamer.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 31
are you all set with keyboard/speakers/mouse? Do you need a card reader? accidental damage protection?

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 31
How bout:

DimensionTM C521

http://www.dell.com/content/products...AID=0038386869 (thanks to tarheel for the link)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Business*
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs*
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

With the optical mouse and entertainment keyboard, it comes to a little over $1000. (although with shipping/taxes, except to add another $100-150)

*I'm not sure which vista is better, I chose business because it has the aero interface. (which or may not suck, I dunno) Also the reason I chose 2 gigs for ram, just to be safe. Otherwise go for Vista Home basic, 1 gig of ram, and get the biggest HDD you can afford.

The above setup should be plenty to do what you want. (perhaps even overkill) My current build is way below that, and does everything but current gen gaming fine. If anyone has objections/recommendations, be my guest, seriously....

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
completely agree. At the very least reformat the dell the minute you get it. It will double your bootup speed.

Not on a Dell, the reinstall discs are images and they'll put back all the bloat.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 31
it is not very hard to build a computer, i did will little to no knowledge about computers. For 1000 dollars you could build something that is much better and has quality parts over a dell. however if not 1000 will get you something decent from dell

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 31
building a computer is very very very easy, pretty much just making sure all the parts work together and knowing where to put them. there's no soldering work at all (normally...). there are tons of guides and forums on it, and if you're still not willing to you could just buy the parts from newegg or ebay and get a local computer store to put it together for you. plus you won't get all of the crap that Dell packages in, and you won't be paying for any warranties or other random add-ons. i could build you a virtual system for any price level and i've done it before. currently i don't own any computers that i've built myself, but a friend from St. Louis is enjoying something i cooked up for him right now.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently running a 1.6 ghz Pentium 4 with 256mb of ram. I have decided it is time to upgrade.

If anyone is willing to help me pick out a new computer I would be forever grateful. Here are my requirements:

- PC (I always buy from Dell, I already have an account there, and I am not switching to a Mac due to a large investment in Windows software)
- Desktop (mini tower)
- XP of Vista (you tell me, I have Adobe software that I need to be compatible)
- $1,000
- Must include a flat screen monitor 17" or bigger
- cd burner (no DVD burner is necessary)
- needs to be able to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- the more storage the better (FLAC files, of course!)

Thanks for your help. I am not up to speed with current processors and memory requirements.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...AID=0038386869

Go the the second column from the left, the one with the $479 price and click on customize. Deal ends 3/28.

$479 includes 19" flat screen monitor, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD, AMD 3800 which is faster than a P4, your choice of Windows. My recommendation would be to pay an extra $30 and get the DVD burner, and an additional $40 and get the faster video card. Total price = $549

Users who are viewing this thread

Back