Build IPOD shuffle into headphone: Best phones for this?
Jan 16, 2006 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im gonna attempt to build a ipod shuffle INTO a headphone.

I love my dt531s, but sadly, shuffle aint got the juice to drive it reasonably well.

Any recommendations for headphones that are large enuff to possibly fit a shuffle inside, AND are sensitive enuff for the ipod to power them w/o an amp?

Something real comfy and open type.....

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 18
Oh, I remember this! I can't remember who made theirs into a headphone...

I think one of the Sony MDR-CDxxxx series does it well since it's large.

You could always try Audio Technica.

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 18
These are very spacious. not to mention comfy as hell... the sound leaves something to be desired though... might work with some mild dremeling.
twisted800.jpg

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 18
It would be well-suited to a low-impedance headphone, as it has a relatively miniscule voltage swing but a push-pull output - it ought to sound pretty good. I recommend an Audio-Technica headphone; if you're trying to go on the cheap, ATH A-500 fit the bill. They've got huge cups which could easily fit the thing. To minimize sound differences I recommend getting the demensions of the Shuffle and somehow making a piece of plastic to fit it (perhaps a cutting board and a saws-all, or something) and putting that in the other cup.

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Maybe any headphone with big metal headbands that "arch" over the head?... A900 / 500 or K240s... perhaps you could fabricate a mount for the player between or beneath the headband arches?

Supposedly the shuffle has a very robust headphone out (for a flash based player), so I would imagine it could drive these cans with ease.

Garrett

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 18
That headphone from macally made for the nano looks pretty sweet. I wonder how that sucker sounds ? Anyone heard one of those two cans ?

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 18
WOw the macallyones look sweet..

I wonder how sound quality will be tho....

I may just do this to my dt531s... I am consiidering dropping in a supermicro3 as well, so we have AMPLIFIED headphones + ipod shuffle all integrated..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back