build a home system
Feb 25, 2003 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

haycheng

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to get a home system and I am very clueless. I probably dont need all the new format. I also do not need a changer. I have a MD Player(a gift from a friend, I dont remember the model), so a MD deck may be nice. I do not expect to spend a lot of money to begin. So I am look for sub-500 as a starting point.

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 13
My advice is to buy used...find an old NAD 3020 integrated amp (one of the best ever in it's price range), and a good pair of mini-monitors (Polk RT25i is a nice choice, but there are many others).

Spend the rest on a good digital source...maybe a cd player and DAC, as that may allow you to link your MD player (I assume it has optical out?). Just about any decent CD player with coax out will work well, and a DAC like the MSB Link will support both optical and coax digital in.

I know that you were thinking MD deck , but I just can't see a home stereo without at least a redbook player.

You can probably do all of the above for close to $500 (OK, maybe closer to $600) if you shop carefully. Good luck!!

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Unless space is at a premium I would avoid "mini" systems. You can do much better for your money and your options are numerous. You can do a search on this site for vintage gear and find out what is good. Consider a vintage Marantz receiver. I think it's the 3020 model that's quite good. These are also supposed to have a good headphone amp in them as well. You can probably get something good for $100. For a CD source, you mentioned a changer, and I would recommend a used Adcom GCD600. I have a newer GCD700 and love it. It's a great sounding and solidly built. The 600 can usually be found on audiogon.com for around $200. You can add the GDA700 HDCD DAC later if you chose for another $200 or so. There are lots of fine speakers available for not a lot of money. I've heard Axiom Audio M3TI is really terrific. I think they are $275 new, but there recently was a used pair at audiogon. Search this site for speaker recommendations, there was a thread recently on budget speakers with a lot of replies. I tried to find it but couldn't. It's here somewhere though. You may have to be patient here to find what you want and stay within you budget. You might also try to pick up some used interconnects from the "for sale" threads.

Good luck and have fun!

Feb 26, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 13
haycheng: I don't think that there's a good answer to your question, as long as you don't answer a few questions, because...

- as long as we don't know where you're located at, we don't have any clue about really good offers in your area

- as long as we don't know about your listening room size and desired sound pressure level, we can't tell you what speaker type and what amplifier wattage could be appropriate

- as long as we don't know whether you have a heavily or scarcely dampened room (do you have lots of carpets, curtains, sofas comfy chairs or a minimalistic designer room?), we can't possibly know, whether you need loudspeakers with lots of or recessed highs

- as long as we don't know what media you want to playback, we don't even know how many and which type of components you'd need.

So don't be discouraged, but give us a little more clues, instead - and then you should get resonable recommendations accourding to your needs. Otherwise you'll just need lots of good luck.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 28, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 13
I am at Berkeley, Ca. I am a college student and I have a small room. I will probably use headphone most of the time, except when I am trying to sleep. Therefore, speaker is not really important. I double I will ever bother to get them. I watch TV and DVD on my computer, so I guess I need something to connect to it. My computer has to be upgrade soon so I can use some advice on sound card.
I will probably stick with normal CD. I do hope to get a something to record MD, as I got a MD player(cant record) as gift. That is not too important though.

Feb 28, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 13
so your asking about a headphone ring and mini disc recorder?

Feb 28, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Just use your computer as your source. The vintage Marantz will make a fine headphone amp, and is supposed to have an excellent tuner as well. If you're talking about sub $500 for audio, not including the soundcard, you've got a nice budget left ($400) for some headphones. I'm listening to Dave Brubeck right now on Sennheiser HD600's with the Cardas cable (under $400 total) played on my Dell Dimension 2300 DVD Rom through MG Head amp and it sounds pretty damn good. The marantz should drive most cans with ease, so you might also consider Sony CD3000. I haven't heard these. but they are very popular here.

Mar 7, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 13
I have to agree with kentamcolin regarding the vintage Marantz receiver/amplifier. They are of fantastic quality and can be found at very reasonable prices.. I have a couple myself.
I am in Rockridge myself (next door to Berkeley) and can give you some direction as to how to find a decent one locally - cheap !!.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 13
vintage marantz' are definatly pretty nice amps, I had a 1060B myself... You might also want to look into vintage McIntosh stuff... I'm not sure the models in my dads all tube system, but the headphone jacks sound really great with my K-501s.

Also, a dude on audiogon is selling warfdale diamond 7.2 (or 7.3) diamond aniversary bookshelfs via auction. I won mine for like 70 bucks... For the price they are really awesome mini monitors, I'm sure you could still win one under a hundred: if you deciede to go speakers as well that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back