Bugle boy tube question which is better?
Jun 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amish

500+ Head-Fier
So i bought a new old stock (new in the box 1961 treble clef logo Amperex Holland Bugle boy 12ax7 tubes with the Large O getter and perfect matched triodes.)

This tube test perfect 100-100 where 70 is the minimal good on my sencore.All my tubes are tested for shorts,grid leakage,gas,quality,life etc

And I received an email from the vendor today telling me he shipped out my tube but then went on to say that he didn't send the tube I bought but sent instead: 1964 treble clef logo 12ax7 bugle boy that he has been saving for 5 years and that this tube is much better than the 1961 tube I paid for. He went on to say that because it took him so long to ship that he gave me this 'better' tube and will also knock off $30-$40 dollars and will refund me one of those amounts.

Now being a new tube roller I'm not sure if this guy is blowing smoke up my ass or not. He claims everyone knows the 1964 tube is better than the 1961 tube I paid for.

What do you guys think?

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 6
No one has an opinion? I guess my worry is am I getting a cheaper tube in place of the $100+ I spent for the 1961 tube. The vendor states the 1964 is the better sounding tube but how do I know? All I know is it's 3 years newer.

I've been killing myself searching all over the web trying to find prices for both tubes as well as which is the better performer; but so far no luck. I'd like to think that they both sound quite alike but who knows?

It just seems odd that the guy would send me a 'better' tube just because it took three days before he could send my tube out. He said it's a special tube he has been saving for 5 years for some 'special' amp project. Why would he send me that? And on top of it refund me $30-$40 bucks? Just seems odd.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 6
It just seems odd that the guy would send me a 'better' tube just because it took three days before he could send my tube out. He said it's a special tube he has been saving for 5 years for some 'special' amp project. Why would he send me that? And on top of it refund me $30-$40 bucks? Just seems odd.

My opinion, the vendor isn't taking care of his business and to be completely frank, is quite shabby. ''He said it's a special tube he has been saving for 5 years for some 'special' amp project.'' Yeah, k bud :\ I can't comment on which tube is better, no experience there but you just don't send out another item than the one put up without consulting with the buyer first. Nothing less than ridiculousness. In a positive light, it could actually be the better tube and the partial refund because of the delayed shipping could actually be with truthful intent. Hard to look inside the guys head. I'd say wait for someone who knows about the type of tube you're getting or don't use the tube at all if you're not 100% content and get a full refund.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah I gave up talking to the dude and am trying to decide how to handle this. I mean the tube I paid for was a perfect example of that tube according to his tests. I have no idea how the tube he is actually sending me tested as it wasn't the one he sold to me.

I might work with him and have him just send me the one i bought as well as the one he sent. I'm sure a deal can be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back