Buget-Fi: k601, or different?
Jan 3, 2008 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mush77

Head-Fier
So here's the thing. I've been relentlessly searching, and haven't found a definitive opinion on the matter. I'm looking to spend no more than what the 601s would cost, and I'm looking for the best value I can buy. Here's the criteria:

I listen to lots of varied music: Electronica, rock, alternative, easy-listening, jazz, classical, whatever.
I have listened to the k701s and didn't like their lack of bass, but I don't want too much. Tight, controlled, yet punchy.
No sibilance, please. I have a high sensitivity to the high ranges, to the point where it hurts sometimes.
I like a warm texture, but not at the expense of clarity and speed.
A wide soundstage is something that I would really love. The 601s should be good on this.

And finally, they will most probably be pair to a LD MkII, when it comes out. And a computer, iPod, or budget CDP.

Any light that you can shed would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 17
you are looking for a Sennheiser HD650 or HD600, if you want more clarity you can recable them later on...

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 17
I don't think anyone could argue the k601 has more bass than the k701 - if anything it is flatter.

I assume you don't have an amp budgeted either, so I'd look for headphones that sound ok without one. DT770's, DT250's, HD25's (closed), and perhaps the next tier down open phones like the HD595 - You may want to find one to listen to first, though.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm planning on getting something like the LD MkII. And I've listened to the HD555s, which are the only cans that I've been able to find that are remotely Head-Fi worthy on sale around here. I wasn't impressed, not much of a step up from my 515s.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 17
If you thought the K701 was bass-shy, then you would thoroughly hate the K601. There's no way at all that the K601 could be described as having a "warm texture"......I sold mine because they were extremely cold/sterile, even on well-recorded acoustical material (though with a nice wide soundstage!)

From the HeadRoom build-a-graph page, you can see exactly what ph0rk described above:

=555&graphID[]=549]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=549

The two cans have almost the same overall response, with the K701 having more response on either end of the spectrum.

It's really hard to say what you should do, because IMHO the K701 bass response is tight, controlled and perfectly adequate, ideal for someone who listens to a wide variety of material! What was driving the K701's when you auditioned them?

Keep an eye out for used HD650's down there, that's my best recommendation!

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you thought the K701 was bass-shy, then you would thoroughly hate the K601. There's no way at all that the K601 could be described as having a "warm texture"......I sold mine because they were extremely cold/sterile, even on well-recorded acoustical material (though with a nice wide soundstage!)

From the HeadRoom build-a-graph page, you can see exactly what ph0rk described above:

The two cans have almost the same overall response, with the K701 having more response on either end of the spectrum.

Or with the k701's having a 3db dip from 400hz to 3khz - the 600hz centering of the graphs is confusing - i wish they'd just put them at something like 75 dBa.

I should add that I find the k601's acceptable for electronica and rock out of an 0404usb sans EQ.

I'll be doing a more direct comparison with a k701 sometime next week, as while I find no great faults with the k601, It might be too neutral for me. It should be interesting, given how uninspiring I found the k701 last time - perhaps the k601 has trained me.

What to do with this hd650, though...

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 17
The HD595 is definitely not what you're looking for, and HD600 might not be it either. Not sure if anything other than the RS-1 doesn't have strong highs in the Grado line, and I don't have much experience with the Beyer line, but those might be better places to look than AKG or Sennheiser.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 17
I didn't recommend a beyer open phone because of their painful (to me) 10khz spike (the op mentioned an aversion to sibilance). AT may have some nice offerings, but I've never heard an AT can above an m40fs. I suppose an HD600 might fit the bill, though it might be tricky to find for $200, unless used.

I've found Sennheiser (and, to a lesser extent, AKG) the best refuge from sibilance. Away, foul treble, away!

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Just a thought, the O.P. may want to look into the Audio Technica AD900.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or with the k701's having a 3db dip from 400hz to 3khz - the 600hz centering of the graphs is confusing - i wish they'd just put them at something like 75 dBa

75 dBA based on a pink noise signal, or what?

Matching the curves at 1 kHz is probably the best idea, because that's in the middle of the audible energy range. It's important to note that you really need to overlay the curves to pick up on differences more so than absolute figures.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Pink noise would be best, i'd wager.

The a-weight db scale conforms well to the sensitive regions (1k-10k)

I suppose they could have made their own similar scale, from 600hz-3khz, for example. The idea is to minimize the effect a single peak or dip has on the results, so the curves can be compared at something approximating equal loudness.

Assuming, of course, response is linear with respect to volume!

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's really hard to say what you should do, because IMHO the K701 bass response is tight, controlled and perfectly adequate, ideal for someone who listens to a wide variety of material! What was driving the K701's when you auditioned them?

Keep an eye out for used HD650's down there, that's my best recommendation!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the K701's tight and extended bass (not to mention the brilliant clarity of the things, wow), but I didn't think there was just enough of it - at least, to my ears back then. They were being driven by some sort of expensive looking CDP and tube-amp, I was just new to Head-Fi and had no idea :p

So am I kidding myself if I want the clarity and soundstage of a (somewhat cut-down and less expensive) K701, with a warmer sound and a touch more bass?

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So am I kidding myself if I want the clarity and soundstage of a (somewhat cut-down and less expensive) K701, with a warmer sound and a touch more bass?

If you want that from the K601, it would take some judicious EQ, and still might not get you where you want to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back