buffered CMOY in Eclipse mint tin (~300k)
Jun 10, 2004 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KTpG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all-

Today's work has left me with a new amp (built for a friend) that is housed in an Eclipse mint tin. It has not been cased up yet, but is currently in use "burning in". Pic:

eclipseamp.jpg

Its specs are as follows:

Holco 1/4W 1% "audiophile" metal film resistors
Wima mixed film coupling caps
Nichicon UHE 470uF power caps
OPA2132P on gold IC socket
BUF634T
switched jack
1x 9V battery
teflon insulated silver-plated copper wire for signal, CAT5 for power
case: 1.5" wide x 3" high x .75" deep

Sounds really good with my 580s. I have been listening to it for the past few hours... cannot wait to get this thing cased up and see how it looks then!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow, very nice. Where did you get the switched 1/8" jacks? Be sure to post some pics after you case it up.

Jun 10, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I tried doing the same thing a few weeks ago, about fitting into an eclipse tin. I got the dark blue one and fit the actual board at the very bottom of the tin, and put the jacks, switch, led, and pot on the side wall, with only a few mm to spare for the 9v battery. It didnt look too good at all. Yours looks nicely planned out and efficient, it'll look great when you're done i bet.

keep us posted...

-ivan

Jun 10, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok, with a little difficulty, the amp is now cased up.

eclipseamp2.jpg

eclipseamp3.jpg

I had left room for the battery, but just barely not enough... it fit completely inside the case, but not with enough room to allow it to close fully. I was using the RadioShack "heavy duty" 9V clips... so I went with another clip that was thinner and moved the Wima cap in front of the battery back another space. Just to be sure, I trimmed the board down a tad with a Dremel grinding attachment so everything would be smooth and perfect.
Now it fits... quite easily, too.

It is pretty plain... I would like to have an LED... but working 3" inside of a case is not my idea of fun (I don't like case-work...), so I didn't feel like trying to get it in there right. Besides, it wouldn't be very useful since the amp can only be on when headphones are in the socket. Otherwise, it turns off... so as long as you habitually unplug things (like me) it will be fine.

The amp feels really solid... no shaking of moving in there (too tight a fit). Sounds good too... I was surprised that sound was coming from a single 9V battery. I usually use 2x 9V. I would guess it has been "burning in" for 8+ hours now on the same 9V battery. The voltage has sagged, of course... but this can only be told by a multimeter because it surprisingly sounds the same still.

edit: Sorry... the pics are upside down. heh I use a flatbed scanner since I have no digicam... that is why
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Those jacks would work for the purpose, yes... but, do note that they don't have threads on the bushing, so they would not cling to the front of the case. That could be a problem...

I used these for the threaded bushing and pulled the switched part off of these (they have a flat bushing... so I couldn't attach them to the case).

If you have some other means to keep the board stationary in there, then the ones you linked to would work. To wire them, you'd just need to hook up the signal wires as is normal for those jacks... and the switch simply wires as a normal switch. The three pins along the back of the jack that are all inline are usually the switch pins.

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Do the switches have to be isolated? I see that the CUI one i linked above explicitly says the switch is so.
I found some at mouser http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/0416295.pdf

Would these work? The lugs seem like they are too big for a regular protoboard, though
frown.gif

I'm trying to avoid buying the jacks on allelectronics because they would be the only product i'd be buying from there and the shipping is pretty steep. It'd be nice if i could find something I could use from mouser or digikey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back