Buffalo DAC VS Gamma 2 DAC
May 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 14
If you want to know specific features of the AMB labs gamma2 and the TPA buffalo boards then google them and go to their respective home pages.
Both (in particular the gamma2) are well documented there.

From the home pages you can find the spec sheets of the chips themselves.
This will tell you everything you want to know.

Commanding other people to tell you things (without demonstrating any effort on your own part) in a forum titled "do it yourself" is not the best way to approach things.

May 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Commanding other people to tell you things (without demonstrating any effort on your own part) in a forum titled "do it yourself" is not the best way to approach things.

Isn't the newest generation of DIY, DIFM? Do It For Me?
wink.gif

May 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 14
I think he's looking for subjective opinions on how these two DACs sound, compared to each other. That could potentially be pretty hard to find through a search, if anyone has even posted on that topic. He's just asking for opinions, and you basically tell him to 'go google it you moron.' Nice.

There's some kind of subtle attitude problem on this forum. Don't get me wrong, I love the hobby and have received all kinds of help here...but people are way too quick to bitch out someone who is new and simply interested enough in the hobby to ask a question. It happens fairly frequently, as far as I have noticed. Head-fi won't attract many new converts if, any time someone stops lurking and tries to get involved, they get pelted with a bunch of d0uche-bombs.

Anyway, as far as the question, I love my Gamma2 but have not heard the Buffalo. Maybe someone here has heard both and has some real-world experience on how they compare in terms of sound qualities?

May 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 14
If you want sound impressions you'd probably get a better response in the "Dedicated Source Components" section.

Seeing a question here I assumed you were after build differences, but maybe that's because English just isn't your first language...

May 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 14
I've built both the gamma 1, gamma 2, and the Buffalo 32S. To my ears, all are quite good. The gamma 2 is probably my pick for best bang for the buck with easy casework if you use the face plates AMB supplies. However, the Buffalo 32S is more customizable if you want different inputs/outputs, power supplies, and also has the advantage of being able to integrate a digital volume control. It's difficult to say which one is better or worse and I would say that the variations available in Buffalo builds would make a comparison difficult. For me, if I was just going on sound quality alone and didn't have to worry about the extra features available in a custom Buffalo build, I would get a gamma2. But if the custom features that come with a Buffalo build are important, then by all means, get the Buffalo.

For me, I started out with the gamma and was quite satisfied. But then I built a balanced beta and needed a balanced source so I built the buffalo. Frankly, if I was to do it all over again, I would have just kept my three channel beta and my gamma 2 and been done with it!
smily_headphones1.gif
But then... I wouldn't know what I know now. And I wouldn't have had the fun of building more stuff. Not that my path is right for everyone... but I thought it worth sharing.
wink.gif

May 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, if I was just going on sound quality alone and didn't have to worry about the extra features available in a custom Buffalo build, I would get a gamma2.

I think you're the first person around here that says that the Gamma2 is superior to the Buffalo in terms of SQ.

May 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Let me clarify. If I was going on sound quality with respect to cost alone, I would get the gamma2. IMO, there's too much subjectivity once you get beyond a certain quality threshold to say which one is better or worse. But once you take the price into account, I would say that the gamma wins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're the first person around here that says that the Gamma2 is superior to the Buffalo in terms of SQ.

May 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 14
There is some info here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/454445/amb-gamma2-dac-sound-impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back