Bud's to sleep in?
Jun 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gblade

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some bud's that I can sleep in, meaning they must be pretty small as to not poke my brain out if i roll over. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX51's. They work alright, but the sound isn't that great, but its not horrible either. Is there anything that will give me great sound quality while being small? Thanks for the help.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 28
Without providing a budget, I will suggest custom IEMs. They sit right in the ear so they don't stick out at all. They are the only IEMs I've found that I can actually lay on my side with.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 28
If you are on a budget, I'd recommend the JVC Marshmallows. They're at most stores for $20 or less. The earplug itself is really small. When I insert it all the way into my ear canal there's nothing sticking out. It fits almost flush with my ear. The earplug itself is foam so it shouldn't be too poky.

The marshmallows work well for me b/c I can keep them in my ears for hours and they are comfortable. I can lay on either side with them and they don't feel too strange. Plus they really stay put. A slight tug on the cord won't yank them out of your ear.

Good luck on your search.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 28
This is going to be tough no matter what. Specially with cables anyways you look at it. With that said when I had my Westone UM1's I thought those were the most comfy iems I have ever tried period. They also set flush with your ears which is nice. Let us no what you get.

Ryan

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 28
I own the marshmallows, and have just received the JVC air cushions. The air cushions are MUCH BETTER, and though the earpiece is bulkier, they don't stick out as much.

Sounds weirdly counter-intuitive, but most of the air-cushion's bulk is offset, rather than sticking straight out like the marshmallows.

The cord is shorter on the air cushions though, so I use them with my Sansa clip in bed rather than my laptop.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is going to be tough no matter what. Specially with cables anyways you look at it.

Cables are a problem. If it's too long it can get tnagled during the night. Plus that pulls on the plugs. You need a plug that fits snug and stays in place yet isn't jammed in or so tight it's uncomfortable after a short time.

How are the JVC air cushions? They looked comfortable b/c they have the foam plugs and the rubber plugs.

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 28
I think it all depends on how much you toss and turn at night as to weather or not any earbuds or IEM will work out for you while sleeping in them. That said, I've had ok results with Shure E4C, they are pretty comfy to lay on, stay in ok with black foams and the cable is pretty heavy duty.. I assume E500 would be even better.

Yuin PK1 (or any PK) are very comfy to sleep in, though they do fall out easier, the cable is much more light weight which is nice because I can hardly notice it but bad because it probably cant stand up to as much tugging as the shures

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 28
Sorry for not providing a budget. Probably up to $200 or so, maybe a bit more. I don't toss and turn too much. I think the most I roll is from one side to the other so I don't think I would trash the cord or plug.

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 28
I've had the same sonys as you, and they were pretty good to sleep with.
Then I got the marshmallows, which stayed in better, and sounded better(plus a little more isolation).
I wake up sometimes lying on top of them, others just at my side.
I really have put a beating on these for the past several months and they still sound/look fine.

Of course, if $200 is more ideal, I would say some cheaper($ wise) customs like the cheaper Freq models, or Livewires, or even Westose UM2s.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 28
I don't own them,but the q-jays are small...

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 28
what about pk2?

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 28
i sleep with the pk2, the pks are the most comfortable buds to sleep in imo. plus they fall out after awhile if you fall asleep in them, so you don't have to spend a whole night with stuff in your ears.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 28
Oh oh, for a second there I thought this thread was going to be about mary-a-juana
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 28
Seconding Westone. Anything from them is a pleasure to wear. Not kidding when they say comfort KINGS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back