Buds that won't crap out in 3 months?
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

audiophile-ish

New Head-Fier
Since my dog just ate my S4s, I'm in the market for some new IEMs for under $150. In comparison to the Turbines I had before, I didn't particularly care for the S4s sound - they seemed flat. I liked the bass on Turbines, it wasn't too extreme but it made for good music. My biggest concern is longevity. I use my IEMs a lot and I haven't found anything that has the durability I need. From iPod earbuds to my Turbines, all of them just stop working (my Turbines lasted about 8 months). 

Any recommendations?

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 23
GR07.  I've had them for almost a year and they're still working perfectly, and I haven't been particularly careful with them.  I just stuff them into my pocket and carry them around like that almost all the time. :p

There are many reviews and a giant impressions thread so you can pretty easily research it if you'd like.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 23
I was thinking about the 215s (I was trying to decide between those are the S4s when I bought those), the removable cables seem awesome. I'm between those and the GR07. What kind of bass does the 215s have?

Edit: I didn't realize I should list the genres I listen to. Mostly indie/alternative with some electronic/progressive house thrown in there as well as the odd rock song. Oh and I really don't like those tri-tip plugs. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 23
SE215 and EPH-100 share some generous bass (deep and nice impact) due to the micro-drivers they use.
Not bass-head level, but not subtle either.

GR07 are less on the heavy side for bass, but have better treble than the aforementioned IEMs.

In terms of build quality, I'd go for SE215 in this price range. Both housings and cable are durable.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 23
Okay, thanks. I just have one concern. Coming from Beats (before my S4s), I've heard the SE215s may not feel very bass-y. Will they have more bass than the S4s? The S4s, for me, are just on the losing side of having enough bass so even if the difference is slight, I think I';; be happy. I'm a novice so I don't really get the difference between bass and impact. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
SE215 and EPH-100 share some generous bass (deep and nice impact) due to the micro-drivers they use.
Not bass-head level, but not subtle either.

GR07 are less on the heavy side for bass, but have better treble than the aforementioned IEMs.

In terms of build quality, I'd go for SE215 in this price range. Both housings and cable are durable.

I've heard some people have had issues with the connector with the SE215?  Do you know if that's been fixed?  If I recall the connector on the IEM itself was what was breaking, so replacing the cable wouldn't help.

Also, I personally feel the GR07 gives plenty of bass - not tremendous and it'd definitely be less than the Turbines, but still very good as far as higher-end IEMs go, especially in this price range.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 23
Atrio MG7 would also be a good choice, fantastic bass and has good detail in the mids and highs.  Soundstage is avg but get larger with a good amp like a FiiO E6 or E11.  Can be had for $109 shipped from atrio.me with discount code.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 23
Well I'm returning the SE215s. The sound is great but the fit is absolutely terrible. The "flexible" plastic tubing that covers the part of the wire directly connected to the buds are way too thick to be molded in any comfortable way. They jut out like 2 inches from behind my ear, making them not only heavier but I look like an idiot. I guess it's back to the Beats since over the ear cord are obviously not for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back